Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Repair of flat tyre with aerosol kit

ECR

Not speaking from experience as i've not used one BUT...

I believe they make a filthy mess when you come to take the tyre off the rim to repair it for good and some tyre places simply won't do it for you *confused*.

Dependent on whether they are water or oil based they cannot be repaired as they cannot get the 'patch' to bond fully as the oil will not come off the rubber 🙆🏻

I don't think they will inflate a fully deflated (on the rim) tyre.

Saying all this though I still carry one in the boot *wink*

Stand to be corrected on all of the above but interested to find out!

The mess is not that bad. Use as a get you home repair, then get tyre repaird / replaced as soon as.

tell the tyre chaps you've used it and take a couple of old rags with you and offer to clean up the wheel rim once the tyre is removed.

It iwll inflate the tyre sufficiently to run it to the garage to get it inflated properly. you need to drive a certain distance to 'cure' the goo in the hole...

Totally agree with Master Mav.

I used it when I had a flat. It doesn't really inflate it to any fantastic pressure, and you end up feeling a bit skeptical wether its going to work or not. I used the goo, drove about 10miles and it still was going down, so I pumped it up a bit (Was at my girlfriends house) and headed home. Stopped about 20miles away to check pressure and it was as hard as the road.

Once I got home I took the tyre off and there was almost no mess. Patched it no problems and ran the same tyre for ages without a fault.

It worked for me.

Willie

Depends where the small leak is. If it's a hole then yes get it properly repaired. If it's a rim sealing problem tyre fitters will often use some special sticky goo to seal. Maybe it's the same stuff in the aerosol? I'd be tempted to use an aerosol if I was sure the valve was OK & there were no foreign objects in the tyre.

My can of Holts tyre weld says deflate tyre completly before using.

ECR,

I have left Holts tyre weld in for months after sealing a slow puncture, best position the leak at the lowest point before filling with the laytex foam.

There is a better product used by the motorcycle guys called "OKO " this bright green goop will permanently seal a slow puncture but needs to be manually inflated.

Rob