Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Piper vernier wear

Englishmaninwales

• Leadership Team

Well they are alloy ☹️ Mine are quite worn but are the old red version. I understand the later version with black pulleys are more durable because th eblack surface treatment is harder (not related to the hub design).

Stu.

fairy rapid wear is common.

I would suggest the "rally" ones that have harder anodoising or somefink.

Of fit a Duratec engine and have enclosed steel ones - slightly more expensive upgrade I admit but you wont have to buy any more vernier pulleys ever again *thumbup* 😬

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

Simply depends how worn they are Tom.

They could wear to the point where the belt slips as the teeth round off but this would take some considerable wear when you consider the number of teeth engaged with the belt.

I would say Road use or track use makes no difference as the belt does the same role.

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 25 Nov 2008 11:27:56

Problems may arise when the belt and/or tensioner are changed, if the belt is wider or the tensioner causes the belt to run on a slightly different track it could bridge the ledge at the edge of the wear ridge, that would not be good for the belt. In the past I have linished away the exposed part of the wear ridge, the lower part in the valley of the teeh is not so easy..

oily

I am dissapointed with the amount of wear on my 4 spoke red verniers also. Every time I remove the cam cover it is full of dust. Remove the cam cover on a well maintained engine with standard pulleys and it can be as clean as a whistle.

I am considering dumping the verniers in favour of offset dowels on the standard pulleys. This may have prevented my cam belt failure last October when it stripped 6 teeth.

I am now paranoid about belt tension and inspect it twice a year ensuring that it is on the tight side as Oily advised me that it causes more damage slack than tight.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS