Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Those of you who choose to criticise my tyre fitting......

EFA

Yes, alst night at the small mediocre Surrey meet again I was hauled over buy other members for fitting my front CR500's in a manner that many of you consioder to be wrong.

I therefore offer the goodwill of education to all my critics (especially those who like to impersonate PC) by referring you to the following URL:

http://www.avonracing.com/images/directionoffit.gif

Specification number is a 4 digit number moulded in a small (50 x 20mm) box on the sidewall of one side of the tyre.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Are you sure they weren't criticizing your spelling ? (or typing at least).

Perhaps the wrong rotational direction induces steering wheel vibrations which have numbed your fingers and induced the typo's...?

Andy, delete your message and wash your mouse out. This applies to CR500s - had the conversation direct from Avon Racing, suggest you do the same.

Obeying the fitting instructions, all the tread patterns should point in the same direction, 'cos they designed the front tyre the opposite way round to the rear. I didn't look at Arnie's car, so can't comment but I have checked correct orientation recently on graham Ridgway's R500.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

Is this a windup, Chaosquestion.gifsmile.gif

I believe the arrows concur with the sidewall product code markings for CR500s in their design configuration. However I could be wrong.

The sidewall product code marking is a better reference because it is to do with the way the tread is lapped onto the carcass and this is consistent across all Avon Racing products. It is quite important for CR500s that will get used on dry track days as fitted incorrectly they have had premature failures of the tread splice.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 21 Jun 2002 18:29:06

Sort of....(context is so difficult!) I'm just a bit confused by the debate... I take it we would all, inc Arnie, fit tyres according to the tread pattern or for less obvious patterns use the arrows (!). So is Arnie saying he has fitted them against the tread pattern as per the suggestion in Alex's posting? and if so, (does the hole I'm digging get deeper now!) how is the lapping of the carcass more important than the direction of the tread in a tyre such as the Cr500?

Confused of Telford.