Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

OT: battery filling....???

Gridgway

So I go to visit my local reputable german car dealer today to buy a new battery. Apparently they are stored dry and filled with acid when needed. How quaint thought I, what not sealed-fer-life? No apparantly not.

So I get said battery home and have a look:

- the caps are not screwed down properly

- there is electrolyte all around the tops of the caps

Anyway, that's all fixable by the average home mechanic (where's me fingers gone?).

But the real question is how full should the battery be? I think the electrolyte should be at the level of those plastic bits you can see to er show you the level.

And given that it is low, should it be topped up with more eletrolyte or just distilled water?

Tks

Graham

Hi Gridg

Yes it should be filled to the level indicators.

Best to top up with more acid - that works best. Water dilutes the elecrolyte. If you paid for a new battery and the right amount of acid to fill it, that's what you should have got.

Sounds like the dealer made a scruffy job of filling it ☹️ - take it back if you have time/energy/inclination and ask them to do it properly!

Good luck!

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

spoke to porky parts dept today and he agreed that the level wasn't high enough (apparently "the plates must've soaked up more than usual"!!!!). They'll fill it properly if I take it in. Mind you he was pretty ungracious when I explained that I had hoped for better! A properly filled battery, caps put back on properly and not acid all over the top.

Graham