Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Running too lean - Failing Emmissions MOT

Milesk

I have a 1.4k super sport engine 1992

It had been running a race exhaust with no lambda sensor (running rich) It failed on high Hydro Carbon readings at the SVA test centre

I have since replaced with a standard exhasut with Cat and Lambda sensor (now too lean)

At the MOT station their Sagem equipment acknowledged that the car had a lambda sensor (its a start) however could not secure satisfactory readings.

The CO2 reading was 0 and I have no hydro Carbon reading, it was suggested it may be sucking additional air???? *confused*

I am also being told the ECU has an element of self learning - however I believe it to be now confused as it is running too lean. How can I get the ecu to work correctly - I am pretty confident all sensors are working.

If I drive a 100 miles - will the ECU work out that it has a nice new lambda sensor and exhaust and rectify the lean running to normal?

ANy ideas?? - Thanks Miles

The CO2 reading was 0 and I have no hydro Carbon reading, it was suggested it may be sucking additional air

The garage that does my MOT often moans about that and I am on carbs they just bring the idle up a tad to get a reading. They never seam to work out its the primaries leaking at the joints

They always get a reading if I have re-jointed the primaries to the 4 to 1 collection box

Might be your problem as well 🤔

If the cars been laid up over winter and its not been out then the hydro Carbon reading are high but acceptable.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Well since it always passes I never moan but I will if it ever fails. 😬 Normally they get a very good reading anyway and it would be nice to know if that ever changes.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

I have proof that it is a 1992 engine and it does not need to meet the CAT requirements however it still has to meet certain Hydro Carbon limits.

When I had no lambda sensor on the HC were sky high

Now with the lambda sensor on it is doing its job however the ecu is I believe screing the figures up and are unable to secure a HC reading.

Miles