Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Replacing rear wheel bearings/seals- De Dion

ECR

This is a job that I don't think I have ever done on my car (which is a testament to the quality of the assembly given the thousands of slickshod track miles it has done).

Are the oil seals driven in to a stop or just level with the face of the hub ? I ask because having pressed them all the way in,the sealing faces are now not touching.

Hi Roger,

I replaced my rear bearings during my rebuild I drifted the bearing seals in so they were level with the hub lip (rubber seal standing proud), just as they were before removal...

I have to say that is impressive considering the miles you've done..mine didn't need changing, but they were cheap, so i thought I'd do it anyway...

Gary

Roger

I went to great lengths to get the seal level (as the old ones were fitted) only to have the bearing fail within 5 k miles (bad batch, apparently) and destroy the bearing carrier. The new fully assembled bearing carrier from CC had the pre installed seals driven into the stop leaving the gap....seems to work ok with no grease leak

Malcolm

I to had 2 bearing fail soon after fitment this summer. I have also heard that there was a bad batch.

These were replacements from CC. I changed them as I had one of my original 10 yr old ones fail. Cc provided refund / replacement but of course there is still the hassel of stripping down and mech failier on an event 😔(£££)

I would only buy from Ford now - may be worth considering if you bought them from CC Roger ?

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 19 Nov 2008 19:21:39

The bearings that I have fitted are spares that I have had mor or less since I bought the car so I guess that they will not be from the bad batch.

Malcolm

I can't believe that there should be a gap. If there is, it means that only 1 of the 2 sealing areas is working (which is ok as long as it does work).... *confused*

I will investigate further.

Thanks for all your replies

Edited by - ECR on 19 Nov 2008 20:30:45