Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1400 Alternator

Fishy Dave

David,

If you have a little bit more money try a Brise .. or perhaps speak to Ammo about his alternators.

Both these are lighter, but more importantly smaller than the OEM product (Marelli?).

When I had the 1400SS engine fitted the original alternator had so little clearance on the chassis upright beside it that engine movement caused the alternator to hit the chassis rail. Using the next smaller belt couldn't solve it due to the fact that the alternator then wouldn't move in sufficiently.

I swapped to a Brise and there is now acres of space and I can whip it in and out easily with everything else in situ (something I had to pracrtice a lot with my recent oil pressure sender issues).

Ammo does a similar Nippon type alternator, though not suer whether he has a bespoke bracket for it to fit a K?

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 19 Nov 2008 09:37:17

Get it rebuilt my an Auto electrician. Much cheaper than a new one, as it will be just the electrical pack that broken. The case & dynamo coil will be fine. Ive had a few alternators rebuilt now from various cars, it shouldnt cost more than 50quid. If you buy one from Halfords as I was forced to do once, it will cost well over 100quid. All they sell are refurbished ones anyway.

Thanks all, appreciate the advice.

I'm all sorted now too. *smile* I rang around and struggled to find a new one under £200, plus Halfords were vague about which one I would need. I only had one day off before my Combe trackday next Saturday too.

In the end I found a local auto electrician who had a brand new one on the shelf, which I got for £50 +VAT. *cool*

I also followed the advice above and fitted a slightly smaller belt which has helped move the alternator in, away from the chassis rail (mine also touched occasionally).

Cheers, Dave *smile*

David Smitheram, Wiltshire (South) AR, 07718 368173.

1400 supersport ex racer