Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Quick Question re upper wishbone ball joint

CJS

Would I be right in thinking that In assembling my front suspension, if the bolt extending from the upper wishbone ball joint starts turning with the (nylock) nut (so the nut won't either tighten further (it is only half way up the thread) or loosen) it is bugg£red? I am hoping I'm missing something very obvious as the thought of taking it all apart again (once I've figured out how to remove the nut?!?) would leave me very depressed...

thanks in advance

Chris

Bit late now for this side, but there is usually an ordinary nut in the same bag of bits which is used to pull the taper tightly into the upright and you then undo and replace it with the nyloc nut which can be torqued up.

Paul's suggestion is good but may require some assistance to put some weight on the top wishbone as you jack the upright up. Or, use a ratchet strap to pull the lot together if this is easier.

T

Its a "ball" joint, so its really a bolt with a ball head in a socket, so it can turn all shapes. I have a naked one which I can show you a photo off if you'd like to understand it better.

To stop it turning you can make the taper as Paul says (I usually just push the top joint down with my hand and tighten with the other) once the taper grabs you're sorted.

Alot of the top ball joints have a socket head in them, so look underneath it (Where the nut screws on), as you may be able to hold it from turning with an allen key which makes it as easy as pie.

Willie

I just put my foot on the upper wishbone while tightening the nut.

A 22mm ratchet ring spanner takes all the hard work out of it.

I put copparslip on the taper so that come removal time you don't burst a blood vessel or ruin the gaiter trying the split the joint when you want to adjust camber or replace.

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Thanks again all.

In the end there was an allen key socket underneath so with an allenkey in one hand and a spanner in the other it was easy peasy. Very unlike the next job (front anti roll bar bushes)....

chris

I had the wrong grade of nylon in the nyloc for the upper ball joints in my R500 kit many moons ago. It got stuck and none of the tricks could get the taper to not turn (IYSWIM). I eventually got a splitter and split the nut to get it off before starting again with the right grade nyloc phew.

I subsequently found the better trick to getting the nyloc off. Burn the nylon bit away with a blowtorch! You shouldn't have to do it, but it's a great tip!

Graham