Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vinyl car graphics

Molecular--Bob

Having had the dubious pleasure of having a bus try to park on top of me this morning i think i need to get my car a bit more visible. It is a dark non-metalic blue, which blends very well into the murk at this time of year. Even though i always run with the lights on, i find that people are still pulling out on me with alarming regularity on winter mornings.

I think i want to get a really bright bonnet and nose stripe and possibly also some arrow style graphics for the front cycle wings, but want to try it in vinyl before commiting to paint. Can you get fluorescent vinyls, i'm thinking along the lines of a fluoro Kawa green, or possibly slightly lighter, towards a yellow. My other option was to do the cycle wing lips and the front edge of the nose, seen this on a black Westfield and it did make it stand out.

Its a bit of a hard colour to get a good match with, so i may try a few colours before i find one that i like.

Ideally, i would like to get a few sample sheets or cards to get the best colour and then get the parts made, just not sure where to start.

3M diamond grade reflective tape is amazingly reflective - as used on fire engines.

I have used some red tape on the rear of my roll bar - and am told it is brighter than the CC rear lights when lit by following headlights at night. Also have short yellow strips on the bottom of the triangular bit of the windscreen stanchions for side visibility at night.

If you don't know anyone in the fire vehicle building world, you can buy it on the internet - very expensive stuff !!!!

If you do use it, you have to seal any cut ends with clear lacquer, nail varnish, etc, otherwise any cut diamonds will turn black as water gets in !

Thanks for the answers, found a guy in Sheffield who does the 3m diamond tape, just waiting for a mail back to see if he has any offcuts or swatches that i can put against the car to see what works. The diamond tape looks good and you can get it in fluoro green, and a light orange that might be good, also "Acid orange". I gues this is a permanent adhesive though, so may go for the same coloured vinyl that he sells

• Area Representative

You could try Hollographics here They supply all sorts of vehicle graphics and supplied vinyl stickers for LADS to Le Mans trips along with Le Mans stickers for many others.

Give them a ring I'm sure they'll be able to help. By the way when fitting vinyl stickers make sure you use the soapy water method for best results. *thumbup*

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Bob,

I don't know where you're based, but if near Surrey I can show you samples/ideas etc.

Below is a car I did recently for Caterham South. (Sorry, I don't know how to do the linky thing)

http://www.bannerbatterien.com/banner/aktuelles/news/artikel/Caterham-Super731111111111.php

The glue to the reflective is quite aggressive and the vinyl breaks up into tiny little bits because of the glitter particles; therefore I recommend you lay down an easily removable vinyl first and then lay the reflective on top.

K80 ROM - Beaulieu Supersprint #16

Edited by - Paul White on 8 Nov 2008 16:52:58