Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thinking of having a go.

campfreddy

K5 FUN wants to have a go at Sprinting. Obviously I’ll have to come along to assist.

I’d only be able to spare enough time to do 3-4 rounds in the 1st year and was thinking both Curboroughs (whilst it’s still around) & MIRA plus one and attending the introduction day (if on).

K5 FUN is my 1993 K Supersport with 5 speed boxed, std 160VVC engine, 4:1 exhaust fitted with a with standard diff’ and has the FIA bar & strut, RWIB & SIB plus the Caterham 3” wide harnesses plus Toyo Proxy T1S tyres on 15” Prisoners. She also has the Apollo tank.

Am I right in thinking she’ll fit into Class 2 & need no other changes other than a timing strut and stickers to comply with the L7 Club / RAC requirements? (I’ve promised to sort her dodgy oil pressure gauge)

My upgrades will need to be race suit & boots, helmet & gloves, RACMSA licence, registration for the championship and the ability to drive properly. Hoping to sort this for less than £700 plus the entries (less the driving ability fix).

Realistic and have I missed anything?

All advice gratefully accepted.

Ian & K5 FUN

• Support Team

Hi Ian - looks like class 2 is the one for you. Timing strut, yellow tape for the battery earth lead and a sticker to show how to turn the ignition off are all I can think of for the car - you'll need to read the relevant parts of the Blue Book which comes with your MSA licence to be sure.

Race suit and helmet are required, gloves and boots recommended.

Helmet needs to be BS6658-85 A or A/FR or Snell 2000/2005.

See you in the paddock next year.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

As a novice you may well plan to do 2-3 local events but then you will do 5 because thats the minimum you need for the novice championship and you will enjoy it that much that before you know it you will have completed 7 events travelling from Devon to Anglesey 😬 - speaks from limited experience 😬 😬

The lead dog always gets the best view.

Thanks for all the replies. What a friendly bunch.

Sorry but for some reason I never get Blatmails. Can send OK and email in my profile is correct. Nothing in the Spam folder either. Have mailed Richard.

Off to scour the net for safety gear and the MSA site.

Ian

Ian / K5 FUN

Ian Unfortunately it is doubtful that there will be an intro day next year. It is our basic plan to run these every other year.

So the next will be 2010.

However there are about 100 of us willing to share our knowledge with you. So that should help 😬

Management Team Member

My Roll - Dogsbody

Helmet needs to be BS6658-85 A or A/FR

I don't think BS6658-85 A helmets are allowed by MSA after 2009, you will need a BS6658-85 A/FR (note the /FR) to be in line with MSA regs.

(You need to check the Blue book to be 100% sure, but it would be a real pain to buy a new BS6658-85 A helmet to only then find it could only be used for one year).

1.6 K Series EU3, 2003, ex-SuperGrad car. Ali/Red.

Edited by - skydragon on 6 Nov 2008 08:58:12

• Area Representative

I think you'll find it difficult to find a new "BS6658-85 type A" helmet in the shops now. It was difficult to find any when I was buying a helmet for the first time almost seven years ago!

If you happen to have a "BS6658-85 type A" helmet, that is in good condition, then you'll get away with using it next year.

all i can say is you should definately do it!

I did my first sprint this year, Curbs in August, and i only did 1 round of the championship (plus the Marshalls day before), would have done more if i hadnt been so busy, but plan to be more organised next year and get the dates booked in with the wife early on!

I wasnt planning on going for the novice championship, i just wanted to have some fun, and i must say the guys there on the day were very helpful (hand holding to first scrutineering, track walk etc). I had a great couple of days, brings a different level of enjoyment to 7 ownership.

costs arent too bad, suit and helmet can be as much as you like, but remember its called safety gear for a reason.

only problem i have is all the little upgrades i want to do before next year! I even found myself looking at swapping cars to get optimal spec for class 1! but i think i`ll hold off that for now....!

Cheers, Andy (Class 1)

1999 VX1600 Classic - andysteele.net - picasa albums - driving in marigolds

Ian,

Having just finished our first season with these guys - you must join in next year, it is just so much fun *smile*

However take care, we set ourselves the target of doing no more than 5 events in our first year. Strangely after event number 2 some form of addiction took over and we ended up travelling the length and breadth of the UK and doing 10 events and a couple of supporting track days 😬 😬 😬

You will enjoy it *biggrin*

If only everything in life was as simple as a 7!!

Once again thanks for all your encouragements.

As I haven't got my Blue book yet, can anyone say what spec' my race suit needs to be. I'm planning on a decent FIA approved suit (and the very fetching underware) on the assumption that any current FIA approved suit will meet the regulations.

Cheers

Ian

Ian / K5 FUN