Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wiper access

stuart147

Motor is behind the knee panel at the outer end of the passenger footwell under the scuttle. Best way to get access is to remove the scuttle which may or may not be easy depending upon whether the firewall's been bonded/sealed to the chassis.

Are the nuts on the wiper spindles done up? Wondering if the drive may be rattling if these are loose.

The other fix is to remove the screen/wipers and fit an aeroscreen 😬.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Steve. Have checked that the nuts are done up. The noise seems to be occuring when the wipers change direction. It sounds like there could be some play in the mechanism, but i would assume that the "link" rod between the 2 wipers is riveted rather than screwed together.

taking the scuttle off is a bit drastic.

removing the knee panel gives you ok access, the motor is then accesible from underneath if you've got gynaecologist's fingers.

On my car (2004) there's no link rod, it's the type with a long coil running in a tube and acting on a gear on the end of each wiper spindle.

I'd pull the wiper motor out, leaving the tube in situ ie undo the retaining bolts and wiring, then simply pull the coil all the way out of the tube. Strip the motor gear mechanism and regrease it and the coil, then thread it all back together.

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B

Martin,

Not drastic at all if you know you can remove the scuttle in 15 minutes. I did add the caveat about the firewall being bonded/sealed in place 😬. It gives clear access to all of the wiper mechanism.

Stuart,

Have you checked that the wipers are firmly pushed onto the splines? Is there play in the pivot for the actual blades or is the noise definitely from under the scuttle?

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

I had noisy wipers for a while and this year the drive rail snapped. If you do need to replace the drive rail order it from svc (£15) CC wanted to charge £130 for the complete mechanism.

To access the motor I only took the knee plate off the side and did a bit of upside down tunneling 😬

There was no need to take the motor out just removed the lid bit to get to the catch where the drive rail connects.