Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheels for AP calipers

Graham Sewell

As some of you may know, I have recently embarked on upgrading my front brakes on a live axle Caterham to the AP 4-pot calipers. My current problem is that my 13" wheels are not the current ones as supplied by Caterham and any 'balance weights' on the inside of the wheel catch against the caliper.

So I can see three options:

1. Get a machine shop to skim a ring off the inside rim of the wheel about 1mm deep so that the weights no longer catch on the calipers.

2a. Buy new 13" rims and sell the old rims to anyone who does not intend to use AP brakes in the future.

2b. Buy new 14" rims and 60 profile tyres and sell the old rims/tyres as above.

I am trying to find out if option 1 is viable with a local 'classic cars restoration' company, but in the mean time, is there anyone out there who has these brakes on a live axle car (part numbers CP7605-3S0-CATER & CP7605-2S0-CATER) with Caterham 13" wheels. If so, do the balance weights still catch?

Are there any other solutions?

Cheers,

Graham

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I don't know that it is specific to live axle cars, but there are enough people racing de-dion cars with AP brakes on 13" wheels that either there is a work around or there is no problem with the wheels that Caterham currently provide.

Cheers,

Graham

The three local tyre shops I have phoned, including one that seems to have a good local reputation, say you need weights on the inner face of the wheel. One suggested using a rubber mallet to make the weights thinner!

Cheers,

Graham

Strange, as I have seen Sevens with the weights on the outside of the wheel. In fact George Polly's asked me whether I wanted the weights inside or outside when they last fitted a tyre for me. Perhaps its a requirement for road use?

Dave H

My car is fitted with K&N Minators from George Polley and AP front brakes and have adequate clearance for the weights????

I believe the problem is that other 'minilite' type wheels do not provide the clearance

Mark

I think it's Supalites that don't fit with APs.

I also believe you can use spacers to cure it, but this doesn't seem an elegant or correct solution to me. It adds weight for a start.

It'd be worth checking the brand first.

If they are the type that don't fit and you don't want spacers, I'd flog them and buy another set. Shaving weight off them could be very dodgy.

Julians got the 13" Mag on his SLR (no. 0127) and that has the 4 pots. The wheels he has had delivered (only two so far) from caterham are balanced on the inside and out. I think it has something to do with the wheel width and lateral balancing. We fitted the wheels on the other day, "just to see how good they look", and didn't notice a rubbing problem. Will check it tomorrow night and get back to you.

Pass me a banana, cos i'm just Ju's spanner monkey!

The final solution was quite elegant...

Firstly, from what Caterham have said my wheels are the older Supalite clones which is the cause of the lack of clearance. However, talking to the man who eventually balanced the wheels, he set his machine up to put the balance weights between the spokes. Surprisingly the amount of weight needed seems to have been dramatically reduced. It used to take 50g on the inside AND outside of the rim for 1 particular wheel and now only requires 27 g total.

The wheels appear to be properly balanced as I did not have any vibration at the various speeds that I drove home last night (varied between town driving and a little excessive on the motorway).

So with the wheels balanced and the correct caliper in place, I can finally put this chapter to bed and get on with driving smile.gif

Cheers,

Graham