Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How much to powder coat my roll cage?

oldbutnotslow

Really ? I thought powder coating involved heating the metal to the point where the powder would melt and adhere to it, then waving it in an aerated bath of powder, then hanging it up to cool down.

At least that's what we did with small stuff we made.

If already powder coated, it would surely make a right mess ?

Is it possible to powder coat chromed items successfully ?

Could a standard chromed seven headlight bowl/rim be powdercoated in black? Would the powdercoat adhere ok?

I'm thinking it would be possible to do a DIY 'black pack' by getting a silver windscreen surround, silver supports, chromed headlights, etc all powdercoated in black.

???

• Area Representative

Skydragon *arrowup*,

No problem having chromed items coated at all. Its a very cheap way to black pack your car. It cost around £30 for all the bits I took in to kelcoat. The only query was when I took in the highly polished parts of my Brooklands band and they were incredulous that I wanted them covering in black plastic....

Grant - I had a cage done for Dogvet with a pile of other stuff I took in and charged him £30 for it to be nylon coated as a % of the total bill.

HTH

Nick

Back in a BEC!

Thanks for your comments everyone. I was expecting it to be a little higher than this.

I think that this is something that I will do over the winter. For now I am in the process of spray painting the cage to see if I like it being other than black. Current paint is day glow lemon. 😳 *eek*

(stands back and waits for the inevitable comments!!) . It may look carp and if I dont like it against the black car I can always revert to a black powder coat. I think it better to experiment with a couple of cans of spray paint beforehand.

Grant Taylor - Oldbutnotslow

I was told proper powdercoating is hard to blast off and the powdercoat can't readily be seperated from the sand, therefore the sand cannot be recycled .. and so it is expensive to do a decent blasting job (time and materials).

The alternative is to heat the metal up and melt the powdercoat off, but this requires controlled conditions to avoid over stressing the metal with the required heat.

Anyway Grant, it might pay you to have a word with Ernie because he has got bits done for us in the past through work contacts and knows all the ins and outs *thumbup*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬