Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Blatmail down again?

Cannonball Bob

Tried sending a couple of BMs regarding some For Sale items, also been notified via BC that I've been sent mail re the same.

But nuffink's arrived.......either end.

Checked my profile email is the correct one, and tried a test message to myself.

No mail yet and I've got some stuff to sell! ☹️

Both My Cars Are Mostly Aluminium

Hmm,

looking at the logs, I can see that you are both with virgin.net. I'm seeing these sorts of messages coming back: "Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.".

I'll have to look a little further into why we can't reach those servers.

Yes you're right, it's Virgin.net

This worked fine up until 8/10/2008 for me. Recently Virgin implemented a Spam filter that you can't disable - you have to go to the webmail and check the spam folder manually - I have done this and no Blatchat emails are there - but this is a real pain as I have used a POP3 connection against their server for over 10 years, and their spam solution doesn't send my 'spam' to my pop3 connection any more due to this sub-folder.

I expect the mail format, SPF record, reverse DNS or mime-formatting mean that mail from this site is being instantly rejected - they've certainly turned up the spam checking recently.

(edit: goes without saying that nothing looks to be wrong with the blatchat.com domain, but Exchange marks blatmail with a spam confidence of 9, because the 'from' and 'reply to' don't match which causes my work email to bin it)

Thanks for the logical suggestion, I've changed my email address used with this site for now and hope we can work out a solution long term.

Edited by - Rich N on 28 Oct 2008 10:53:55

Indeed, the ReplyTo address is different so that the recipient can reply to the message. Although I can put the sender's email address in there, or at tleast the address that they type in the field, I expect that it would then get rejected as it's not coming from the expected server.

I can change the format of Blatmails as there's no way of putting html in there, but I've changed notification messages to html so that the smileys and formatting show up.

Or I could write a better PM system to use a forum methodology and allow people to subscribe to 'their' forum so that they get notifications that way. Might take some time to implement though.

Had the same problem the last few days : did send a few messages using Blatmail & also posted on BC that the recipients should have got mail, ... only to get the online response on BC that my BM's hadn't arrived ☹️ *confused*

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery