Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Search returns IIS 7 'Not Found'

Rich N

Is it just me having issues.. Search often returns the snazzy IIS 7 'Not Found' 404 page

...and I find I'm not getting email updates for items where I've ticked "Check here to be notified by email whenever someone replies to your topic" - am I being an idiot again?

- actually it's a "500" error

Edited by - Rich N on 22 Oct 2008 21:50:51

Yes, for example:

hit search, don't change any options and search for something like "Check here to be notified" and it produces the error. For me. In IE7 on XP.

My email notifications were previously working but aren't any more - is it just me?

Edit: Maybe it's late and I'm loosing the plot but it seems for me, searching for a string that contains certain words (any, here, there) causes the 500 error.

Edit2: Yes - terms like "any, here, and, not, there, or" cause the issue!

Edited by - Rich N on 23 Oct 2008 22:24:29

Rich,

When the search engine indexes posts it ignores 'noise' words such as 'to' or 'from' or 'where'.

When a user searches for a series of words that are not contained in a phrase deliminated by quotation marks, the search engine splits the request into several searches. If one of these searches consists only of a 'noise' word, it can't cope, and has a hissy fit.

Solution: remove 'noise' words from non-phrase search strings.

This issue has been posted in the feedback centre.

Edited by - Site Manager on 28 Oct 2008 02:04:14