Click here if you are having website access problems ×

So what's the situation with FIA 1986 suits

Martin S.

Yup, twas in the MSA magazine a few months back. (and I mentioned it on another BC post)

But the listed regs changes were contradictory, and made it unclear if this was only for racing or covered sprinting too. I'm expecting a clarification to appear in the mag next time.

R

It was mentioned twice, once under race and once under speed. I have since read on Uphill Racers a thread intimating that it has been reconsidered (someone contacted John Symes at the MSA) and won't be applied to speed events now. But it is not 100% clear as it doesn't state what the decision actually is. e.g. can use for the forseeable, delayed x years or what.

Barry

Slightly O/T, has anyone got a definitive answer about the eligibility of Proban overalls for next year - P.49 of the MSA mag suggests they will not be suitable any more as they are not FIA approved but the scrutineer at Anglesey didn't think it applied to speed events.(Same page also states that the FIA 1986 Standard will be no longer eligible from 1.1.2010).

PaulB

• 2 weeks later...

I've had time to read it properly now....

Another part of the regs changes in this edition of the MSA mag shows 1986 as having been deleted from "Racing" eligibility as of 2010 (but only recommended from 2009). It's in the "common regs for all competitors" section

In a previous edition of the MSA mag, this particular reg change also showed 1986 as deleted from speed events (even though the speed events specific regs still allowed it)

It looks like the main reg has been brought into line with the speed specific regs and that 1986 suits will still be OK for sprinting for the foreseeable future.

(I'll still need a new one for racing though 😔)

R