Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wider front wheels & 215 Kumho tyres

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I have decided for next year to go with the following Kumho tyre combination for sprints and hillclimbs:

Front 215/50R13

Rear 235/45R13

Kumho recommend 8" wide rims for the 215s and 9" wide rims for the 235s. However most of the people who run this combination of tyres have 7.5" front and 8.5" rear - is there any reason for this (apart from not having to change the rear wheel width from standard with MB wheels)? Why move to 7.5" front and not 8"?

I have decided to buy Image Billet 4 wheels as they have powder coated aluminium centres which will be lower maintenance than the MB magnesium wheels. People who know me will realise that is an important factor! I therefore have the luxury of starting from scratch with the sizing and offset.

I will be fititng wider front wings but with the existing stays so will need to keep the inner edge of the wheel in the same postion relative to the wingstay. I have measured the backdepth (hub face to inner rim edge) at 111mm - does that sound right? Could someone measure theirs for me please. I intend to keep the same backdepth on the new wheels which will therefore have all the additional width on the outside - the offset will change significantly but will this cause any problems?

On the rears I also intend to keep the (139mm) backdepth the same to prevent any possible fouling problems - it looks like there should be enough room under the arches. Can anyone forsee any problems there?

Cheers,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Edited by - Shaun_E on 20 Oct 2008 17:11:06

Shaun, standard MB sizes are as follows:

Front 5" inner with 1.5" outer = 6.5" overall

Rear 6" inner with 2.5" outer = 8.5" overall

At the front I went with a standard inner 5" with a 2.5" outer to get to 7.5". This gets over any wing stay issues on the inside and gives you an equal track front and rear into the bargain. The 215's fit nicely on the 7.5" rim so I didn't see the need to go to 8" fronts.

A 6" inner at the rear is very close to the arb drop links if you have the over slung bar. A change to the under slung version is relatively cheap as the drop links and clamps are the same as the over slung as long as you have the mounting holes in the lower chassis member. If not an adjustable Freestyle jobbie will solve it.

Adrian

• Support Team

Adrian - thanks - that is close enough to the 111mm I've measured to convince me I haven't made an 🙆🏻 of it. I meant the outer edge of the inner rim IYSWIM.

I will go ahead and order tomorrow.

Mike - I thought I'd seen them on another car. Good to know they really are low maintenance. I will be getting the centres powder coated and both inner and outer anodized.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Edited by - Shaun_E on 20 Oct 2008 21:58:25