Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speeding Prius

myothercarsa2cv

A prius travelling at about 90mph the other day, nearly had a heart attack. I did the old *nono* "not very green, mister" and gave him an earful from a real car.

Oh, also the Banner Batteries Caterham at the Black Prince Holiday Inn on Friday. If you were nervously watching a hooded figure wander around your car, that was me! Sorry if I caused any alarm... *tongue* 2cv should have given it away though! 😬

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Hitting it fixed it )

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Tarnishing nicely ☹️)

Recently been evaluating a Prius for work. Took great delight in driving it flat out everywhere, hoying it around roundabouts and generally engaging in un-Prius like behaviour 😬

Bloody awful car unless you only need it for urban or gentle suburban runs (though to be fair, not because it's a hybrid, more because of the transmission tuning, steering, stability etc). We surveyed a number of customers in Germany with one recently, getting them to drive as they normally would (mainly diesel customers). Nearly everyone hated it - above 140kph the engine goes to max revs. Most customers (on derestrcited autobahn wanted to drive briskly and were driving at the speed limiter for the whole time, until the battery quickly ran out and the speed starts to drop. After this, once off the A/bahn, the engine has to run constantly to recharge the battery and wouldn't then run in EV only mode (presumably because the batteries had overheated (judging by the racket from the fans).

People liked the urban behaviour, but 'I can't see any benefit to this car - a diesel has better performance, is more economical, especially on a journey and I don't want a car that looks like a hybrid'.

Yet the same manufacturer produces the amazing 460h hybrid SUV.

A friend of mine owns one & this pretty big & heavy car will haul itself to 60 in 7.5 secs. Under the bonnet is 3.2V6. If the batteries have enough charge it runs silently upto about 17mph then if you floor it all hell breaks loose *eek* Two electric motors (one for each axle) & rated at about 60hp cut in & combined with the petrol engine produce huge thrust *smokin*

Still don't get it though, but it's a much better car than the prius.

I'm afraid I won't be at Sossiges... Double booked myself, I have tickets for the truck superprix at brands *smokin* Apparently there's a winter academy race on too.

I don't like the Prius. cleangreencars did a very fair test on it, and I think it sums it up well. This is the same group that did the FoSTech marquee at the festival of speed, I spoke to the guy that runs it and he gave a *thumbup* to Caterhams - he said he was all for home built fun runabouts (actually quite green 😬), because after all, motoring should be fun. Top bloke.

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Hitting it fixed it )

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Tarnishing nicely ☹️)