Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bullet Camera condensation

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I often have an issue with condensation on the inside of the lens protector of my RF Concepts bullet camera.

Does anyone else suffer from this and has anyone found a solution?

On initial use it is fine but after a while it steams up. I noticed at Anglesey this weekend it was fine on Gill's runs but by the time I started my run it had steamed up. This suggests it is heat related - i.e. it happens when the camera has got warm but the outside temperature is cold.

Suggestions on how to eliminate this gratefully received as it is ruining most of my video.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

• Support Team

SM25T - The theory is sound but nowhere to drill a hole really. I will take a closer look though. Thanks.

Alistair - a very lateral thinking approach! As above there isn't much room between the lens and the protector but I might be able to get a few grains in there.

I guess I could try assembling it in the airing cupboard to eliminate any moisture.

The RF instructions say change lens in a dry environment like an airing cupboard. Always change the lens with the cam powered on and warm. When ever I have done this religously I've never got condensation, when ever I've done it out side, I've got condensation. I wouldnt drill a hole myself!!

If you do get caught with condensation, screw the front cap off, with the cam powered on and warm, and wipe away. Ive done this successfully in the paddock. however you will then need to go through the dry assembly proceedure to ensure you dont get condensation again.

Shaun

is the camera on the car when you drive or tow it to events? I found mine did this after towing it to trackdays on rainy days, you could try keeping it dry before fitting it or powering it up for a period with the glass/ shroud off to evaporate the moisture

Mark

Shaun, in 4 seasons mine has never steamed up, I've no idea why not. It lives on the car 24/7 so gets as wet and damp as yours will and in the time I've had it the lens cover glass has never been taken off.

I power it up on start up so normally it will have been on for 20 mins before I record any video if that makes any difference.

Adrian

• Support Team

The camera lives on the car permanently and it is driven to events come rain or shine (no trailer for us) so gets wet a lot!

The lens cover has an O-ring. This is a new camera which I have never taken the cover off. I had this problem with the old camera and often took the cover off to wipe away condensation.

I thought an airing cupboard would be a dry environment. I might try putting the cover on the camera in the airing cupboard.

Alistair - the cable enters the camera at the other end and, having dimantled my old broken one, is sealed with lots of black silicone.

The issue is obviously moisture in the air gap between the lens and the cover but how can that be eliminated?

I might have to try Rain-X anti fog stuff!