Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BDR crank pulley for water-pump/alternator drive wanted

KayTee

Hi, everyone !

I need the crank pulley driving the water-pump and alternator on a BDR/A.

I am using a v-belt, as opposed to the poly-vee sets available.

Has anyone gone poly-vee and has a spare pulley for me ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Best ! - Karsten

So you must be using standard X-flow pulleys, i have a poly v belt kit which i do not not use , cannot remember what size belt it uses, but if you are interested i will dig it out and measure it for you.

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Life begins at 40(00rpm)

Hi, Peter !

Thanks for your reply !

The BDx has a cam-belt pulley up front, onto which the alternator/water pump drive pulley is bolted, utilizing three smallish bolts.

The x-f, if I remember correctly, only has the water-pump/alternator belt, externally, and the pulley on the crank is fitted using a single bolt.

Or am I on the wrong train, again ?

Cheers! - Karsten

Karsten

I think I have one but will have to check over the weekend. I changed my BDR to homemade toothed belt for pump and alternator as I was afraid of vee belt coming off at over 8000 rpm - I think we had some discussion about it last year. Will get back to you but will probably not be until middle of next week.

Regards

Keith

Keith,

thanks for your offer !

I am very interested.

I was of the opinion that the poly-vee kit sits very/too close to the diagonal tube up front ?

You're really putting doubt into my mind re. the use of the std. v-belt ...

Aah, well, that'd be another 60 for the poly-vee kit, another 100 (+how much?) for the proper Wilcox alternator mounting bracket ...

Eeeh, is the original set-up really *that* fragile ??

Regards - Karsten

Edited by - KayTee on 23 Jun 2002 11:42:46

Karsten

Damn. Apologies forgot to look for the pulley. Too busy putting the engine back in the Caterham and then getting an MOT. Will look tonight.

I got a polyvee kit from John Wilcox and sent it back. The belt is 25mm wide and will not clear the cross brace as you suggest. I made up a system using a toothed belt (like a cam belt) but only 12.7mm wide so the overall installation is no deeper than the original vee belt installation.

As to the original vee belt - I dont think its fragile its just that I was concerned about the belt coming off at high revs (8K plus)- whether my fears are well founded I dont know but I've never seen a vee belt on a full race BD or crossflow - polyvees yes, toothed belts yes.

Regards

Keith

Hi, Keith !

Thanks and no problem whatsoever :-)

Hmm, I have a toothed pulley on another alternator.

You had your crank pulley custom made ?

Could you give me a price estimate for that ?

I did go through a belt & pulley supplyer's catalogue a while ago, but the sheer number of variations put me off. A largish pulley for the alternator, and a small one for the crank, would be ideal (8.5k rpm being the max. target).

Hmmm !

Cheers ! - Karsten

Karsten

Managed to get a look at lunchtime - yes I have got one plus pump pulley. Yours for nothing with one proviso - as long as you are sure you are going to use it - if not I'll keep it and it may help someone else out in the future. Some time ago I got into a load of agro over payment for some parts I sent to Holland and I cant be bothered with the potential for a repeat over parts that are worth so relatively little.

I bought 'standard' toothed pulleys and belt from a supplier in the UK. These came in steel with the toothed profile on the outside, a pilot hole approx 10mm diameter in the middle and about 25mm thick. I then machined them down to suit the crank, water pump and alternator. I also machined a new mounting for the alternator from a billet of aluminium as the old bracket from bent steel meant the alternator shaft centerline was nowhere near parallel to the crank centerline - probably not too important with a vee belt but pretty critical with a flat toothed belt. I can get you more info on the pulley sizes, belt lengths etc if you need it.

Let me know.

Regards

Keith

Hello, Keith !

I have flipped through that catalogue again.

The basic pulleys are not that expensive, between 10 and 20 quid.

However, they all have to be machined, and since I don't have direct CNC access at the moment, that would drive expenses over the top.

I would really like going with the original set-up for the start.

If I change plans after testing and go toothed belt later on, I will simply send the pulleys back to you.

Regarding payment and the trustworthyness of my promise to send them back if no longer needed later on, please contact Steve Mell.

I will definitely couver postage and a few beer tokens, no discussion in that respect wink.gif

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with an earlier 'continental' sale, this one will be without any hassle.

Soooo, THANKS A LOT for your most kind offer, I'd like taking the pulleys. Come to think of it: is the water-pump pulley any different than the regular x-flow one? If it isn't: I have one of those, so don't worry about that one.

Please advise by e-mail how we'll go on.

THANKS a lot, again ! smile.gif

Regards - Karsten

Edited by - KayTee on 26 Jun 2002 16:42:18