Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Standard side exit silencer

Ralph Morgan

Has anyone replaced a good condition standard side exit silencer with a Techcraft or similar and therefore has the original item gathering dust in the garage looking for a good home at a fair price? Given the difficulty in shipping, somewhere in reasonable distance from Swindon would be preferred so I could collect.

I have a used 4" side-exit box with Ali heat shield, all in fair condition.

My Son lives in Trowbridge so something could be arranged re-transport as long as you are not desperate.

If you are interested call me in work tommorow (Monday) 7am-4pm.

@ndrew

Thanks for the offer Andrew. However, I've just checked what's already on the car and it's 5 inch diameter, so it's probably best to keep to that size (at least it comes in under the 100dB track day noise level!). It's just that it's getting a bit scruffy having been grounded a couple of times, and was second hand when I converted from rear exit to side a few years ago. i can't really justify the cost of a TechCraft or similar, so am just exploring options to buying a new Caterham unit as a replacement during my "Autumn refresh" of the car.

Cheers,

Ralph

I have a spare 5" (2" pipe) silencer which was on my VX for about 2000m, between 1996 and 98 - it has lived in my garage since then. No marks or dents, but I will check and confirm if you are interested in buying it.

I'm in Lymington - about two hours from Swindon.

I've just been to dig it out of its bubble wrap, and it looks unmarked (although could do with a clean). It measures 37.5 inches from inlet to the bracket hole if this helps.

No idea what it is worth - does £80 seem OK?

Sorry I was out straight from work last night with visitors and didn't get back till late *eek*.

I'll take some measurements this evening and let you know. Could you check the inlet bore diameter?

£80 seems fine - I think the new price is about £200 isn't it? Would you be able to send it if I paid carriage (say £20 on top)? You're quite a distance from here and I don't have any need to travel down your way to collect it - e.g no friends or relatives in your area - (or we could use GONADS I suppose?)

Cheers,

Ralph

The internal diameter of the inlet pipe is 2" / 50.8mm, which I suspect is the same as the external diameter of your post collector pipe. There are the usual four slots for tightening. I guess it will fit OK.

I should point out that there is no heat shield with this silencer, as I transfered it to the re-packable silencer which replaced the original unit, and it stayed in place when I sold the car in '01.

That's fine - I think these diameters are standard.

No problem about the heat shield. Mine is OK (but needs new clamps) so I don't need another.

Do we have a deal? If so I'll blatmail you with my address details and send a cheque once I have yours.

Cheers,

Ralph