Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hot idle problem

TomGaval

While at my first sprint event, the car ran well in heat, although after hearing the warnings not to run hard until the oil temp comes up I was concerned since there is no warm up lap. So i let the car idle between the first and second run about 15 minutes. oil and water temps came up and held normal. But at approx the 15 minute mark the engine started to have problems holding idle. I would blip it and it would rev but then stared to quit, and finally would not run. I ended up being pushed out of line and took the bonnet and filter off and let the car sit for about 20 minutes. It refired and ran fine. Never had this problem before, but never sat and idled for more than a minute or so. Any suggestions besides don't sit and idle? BTW I currently have the idle set at 1900 rpm as it didn't seem to like to hold at any thing less. 1.8 K, VHPD spec, DTA ECU. with Jenvey throttle bodies. Thanks Tom

1900 is a very high idle, which is a goodindication that something funny is going on. The ECU takes input from coolant and air temperature and adjusts fuelling by a percentage based on this. The ECU settings could be rubbish. With any programmable ECU installation it is *necessary* to get the map so that you can audit what is going on.

What happens when you try to get it to idle at lower speeds. FWIW my engine idles at a rock solid 1200rpm with quite a lot more cam than you have. It really shoudln't be a problem but you have to start off by balancing the throttle bodies and then you have to work on the detail of the idle map.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

Peter, when adusting the idle screw is it best to do it when first started or after it warms up? When I first got it running, I adusted the idle to around 1000 rpm but it seemed not to stay there after it warmed up. Should I let it warm up then adust down? Thanks for the help. Tom

Your idle screw should only be altered in conjunction with your map. I've just spent a few hours playing with mine, although I use an IACV in lieu of an idle screw. Every time you mess with the idle screw you run the risk of taking your throttle to the next load site.

I have an Emerald M3DK that we could try if you're ever near Worcs. We can see exactly what's going on, and I'm sure I could find a map that'd work with yours. Is yours a VHPD or are you saying that it is a standard K16 that's been ported to VHPD valve and throat sizes? Basically, if you want to pursue the M3DK option I'll need to know your exact engine spec. Then I can ask around for someone who might have a map to suit.

Nig - 07973 347791

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in the States. Car runs great otherwise so I'm hesitant to play with the maps. But what sites should I be looking at. And what type of figures should they have? Is that a definite don't touch the idle screw? Tom