Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mech OPG kit from think

Sandy

My order as recommended in FAQ has just arrived

http://7faq.com/owbase/ow.asp?HowDoI%2FRemote+Oil+Pressure+Parts+List

Total order incl post was £128.31 which is alot more than the FAQ list (albeit that was 2003)

Part No FTA 1-3 (Female alloy bracket) however is now £37.38+vat which alone exceeds the total for the parts list for the remote sensor kit (£27.80 as 28/02/03)

Think have confirmed I have been charged correctly for this part but this seems alot of money for what it is?

Does this tally with similar orders any of you guys have placed

Also, the OPG guage I have received doesnt look very much like my standard CC caerbont guages, anyone know of a more accurate match available?

Cheers

I think my total bill (including the warning light) came to a shade over £100 about 18 months ago. I will dig out my full invoice this evening and confirm for you. As for the gauge itself, mine is a pretty good match. How is yours different? Are you able to take a pic?

Where am I?

Neil,

Thanks - YHM, I have got a pic ready to email, would be good to compare

The needle orientation is completely different - CC guage is '10 to 2'

Think OPG reads like a speedo '8 to 4' so the needle points down at rest

Hi Sandy,

Have not seen your mail yet as I'm at work, but I agree with Mav, it sounds like the same as mine. At rest, the neddle angle is different, but when running (and therefore when youa re in the car), they all point north!

From an accuracy point of view, you'd rather have a greater radius of movement anyway.

Where am I?

I literally did this mod yesterday...well Hyperion did for me. 😬

I paid £29 for the bits from Think and a Mocal (Think) PSI gauge from Merlin, as Think were out of stock (of their own gauge *rolleyes*) Oh well. That cost me £38. I didn't go with a low pressure warning light.

I think the Mocal gauge is really nice (though the night time illumination is weaker than the VDO/Caerbont) and goes very well with the existing dials. Yes the needle orientation is different in that it uses most of the face for reading which as Neil K says, does make it a bit more accurate.

Cheers

Dave

ETA- Sandy, my invoice noted a Lotus Club Discount, couldn't tell what the discount was but worth checking in case you didn't get it.

Edited by - Lotus Boy on 3 Oct 2008 18:52:18

Dave,

What did you pay please for Think part No FTA-1 3 (Female alloy bracket)

That seems to be the item that doesnt feel right at £37.38 +vat

I checked the club discount book but didnt see an offer there form Think? Probably too late now

Sandy

Just checked my Think invoice and I do not have the Female alloy bracket as part of my kit.

2 things...

1. I am Vauxhall 2 litre rather than K but not sure if this makes a difference

2. Is the alloy bracket the 'T' piece to allow another feed to go to the low pressure warning switch? I decided not to go down this route.

Sandy - did you speak to Matthew Potter at Think? Very helpful and I'm sure would clarify whether you needed the alloy block to run a basic set up (i.e. without the warning light).

Cheers

Dave

OK, have found my bill from Think.

Not sure it helps as it's not itemised, but I have:

CAT2 - CAT GAUGE / EWL / SWITCH COMBO: £90.60, less Club discount of 15% gives £77.01

Postage theft: £8.95

Total: £85.96

Goverment theft: £15.04

Grand total: £101.00

That was in July 2007, and I went for the warning light route as well.

Good bit of kit though *thumbup*. Make sure you specify the right adapter. I needed a 1/8 BSP adapter which I had to get seperately as it was an older car (2000)

Where am I?

Sandy,

I did this mod last month after standard guage packed in after a track day at Oulton. Faxed through list which was printed off Blat Chat link. Total cost £79.39 plus theft comes to £93.28 including discount. Car is a 1.8 K VVC.

Hope that helps

Ian.

Alu T-Piece listed as FTA8-3 (not as quoted in parts list) £17 with discount.

Edited by - Lancs Ian on 5 Oct 2008 18:48:04

Yeah, that is the one so ill give it a go - Mind you, other than being black and the right size, thats where the similarity ends! Its a shame cos Racetech do one that is very similar but only Electrical, not mechanical

I'm gonna give them another call tomorrow, something must be amiss price wise based on Ians post - even without any discount?

Mav,

Following Ians clarity, I now agree - I knew the T piece was the offending (also most expensive) item on my order

I've mailed Geoff and asked if he can add Think to the discount directory, seems silly to have a parts guide on this website and no reference to any saving *wink*

Following Daves advice, Spoke to Matthew who will apply the discount and give me a part refund. He explained that they discount the alloy bracket quite heavily for us which explains all.

Cheers guys for all the help

Edited by - Sandy on 6 Oct 2008 10:24:14

Excellent result Sandy. I have to say I didn't actually know about the club discount either until I saw my invoice. When I spoke to Matthew I mentioned the club forum and so guess that triggered it.

Racetech do a mech gauge but I have a feeling it is near identical to the Mocal one, just with 'Racetech' written on the dial. Mocal probably supply them to racetech?! At least buying the mocal one you know it has the right fitting.

Oh and don't think of the gauge as being out of place with the other smaller ones, think of it as complementing the tachometer with the full needle sweep *wink*

Glad you got it all sorted in the end. What a great thing this club is eh?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by - Lotus Boy on 6 Oct 2008 13:02:02