Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Diff oil - anyone tried this stuff here?

Neil_K

• Area Representative

Although it doesn't say so on the tin, Silkolene BOA 90LS is an EP90 mineral based gear oil.

I have this stuff in my axle on the recommendation of the guys at Opie and while I haven't done any miles on it yet, I was pleased to note that it is considerably 'thicker' than the Comma EP90 that preceded it. That's probably more of an issue with an axle than a separate diff unit as you wouldn't have the problem of oil disappearing up the driveshaft tubes on cornering, but thin gear oil just doesn't feel right somehow.

Can anyone explain why different oils of the same SAE viscosity rating can have such widely varying gloopiness? It's always been a mystery to me *confused*

Crudders

Edited by - Crudders on 2 Oct 2008 16:23:44

• Area Representative

Well guessed Peter, that question was indeed written with you in mind *smile*

No I haven't done as you suggest, and ta for pointing out my flawed thinking *thumbup*

A gloopy gear oil at anbient temp still seems so much more satisfactory though *tongue*

Crudders

Any decent gloopometer will compensate for the temperature difference. Just pop 'round your local Halford's and tell them that some Yank on a internet chat room advised you to buy a decent gloopometer. That should make for a fun afternoon for both of you! *tongue*

*smile* Sean

Simon and Guy at Opie oils have been extreamly helpful to me on more than one occasion. Well worth sending them a mail if you have any questions concerning oils.

Tell them the full spec of your car and i'm sure you'll get a speedy reply.

Gordon.