Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

*** Your Thoughts/Information On Headsets & Intercom Systems ***

CHRIS CLARK

Am seeing an increase in their use and am considering a pair for myself & Suzi Seven. Baaa Baaa, Baaa

Opinions as to which set up is best would be gratefully received. I want to use headsets as this would save my tendancy to go earplugless (as at present) leading to hearing loss!!!!!!!!!!

So, what makes are best (efficiency/value)? And, where is best to get 'em?

T.I.A

Chris,

Miss Mav an I use the OMP Kit on P135 of current M/Sport catalogue from DT. Item 3, and the practice headsets (item 1). All hearing still working fine. This system uses 2 9V PP3 type batteries, and they have not needed replacement yet, despite extensive usage (6k miles).

Regards,

Martin

The best is Peltor, no doubt about that. But they're also a lot more expensive than the competition. We use one in a historic stage rally mini with straight cut everything and no interior, the peltor intercom in helmets work really well on the stage and the headsets make road sections almost pleasant. Not used one in a seven but I'm sure it would work equally well.

I have an autocom system that allows you to connect a stereo music source, a cell phone and two-way radio to the intercom. It switches and mutes the various signals automatically, which can be a little wierd until you get used to it.

It's aimed at bikers and works very well.

Miraz,

Can you shed some more light on model / costs etc ... Sounds ideal as I'd like to lisen to music, and I'd like to hear my mobile ring for once when in the car.

Ta.

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

I agree with Chris on this... I've been thinking about building my own intercom for a while, with all the inputs and outputs to sastisfy CD players, phones and 2-way radios, but when I get into V7 (with earplugs I hasten to add) I just feel like I'm away from all that and enjoy the moment more. I've tried headsets but they restrict your head-movement slightly, but it was a significant "slightly" and made me feel less like I was actually part of the experience.

I also noticed recently that I could use a phone reasonably successfully when wearing earplugs. The plugs seem to reduce the car noise and if you press the phone against the plug it transmitted a very audible sound through to my ear. Of course I was stationary at the time. I wouldn't advocate the use of a phone when driving without a hands-free kit and I simply can't hear a thing from the hands-free kit in V7.

I'm using the Pro-M1 which was about £130 for the intercom unit.

I use the music input occasionally, usually when I'm on a long, boring motorway run, although I have a bad habit of listening to dance music when driving quickly along more exciting roads, which can lead to an excess of enthusiasm over talent.

The cell phone is rarely turned on when I'm in the car, but proved useful on the Haggis II tour and over the last couple of weeks as the seven has been used as daily transport around Edinburgh. Phone calls at fast motorway speeds are reasonably clear - about the same quality as a hands-free kit in a tintop.

Miraz

Chris,

I use Peltor headsets with the amplifier permanently fitted to the car and connected through the ignition switch via fuse and separate switch.

Just used them to and fro' Le Mans and, whilst expensive, I can't recommend them highly enough. They cut out all the wind buffeting around the ear'ole region and you can carry on a conversation, as I discovered yesterday, whilst trying to keep up with the infamous Mr Webb at 120 mph+. (I failed, by the way, or if the truth be told 'bottled it' big time)teeth.gif

Brent

I really struggle to understand this constant worry about whether this or that is "legal". I would much more worry about whether they are sensible because most law enforcement agents in the civilised world (don't know if that includes France) have better things to do than nitpick and they use their discretion.

Are full harnesses legal? Don't care cos they are obviously a better solution than anything else.

Are aeroscreens legal? Don't care because forward visibility is better and there is less turbulence.

Is wearing a helmet legal? Don't care because it obviously makes sense.

Is wearing earplugs legal? Don't care because without them I'd go deaf.

Is an intercom legal? Don't care because if it means I can talk to a navigator I stand more chance of hearing them say "next left" and won't be farting around trying to work out where we are heading.

Is using a mobile phone legal? Ummm....

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

I see no earthly reason why they shouldn't be legal. It is, after all, no different to simply chatting to your passenger in a tin top at, ahem, the aforementioned speed. Now THAT definitely was NOT legal!

Like Peter, I don't understand the concerns over is it or isn't it legal. To me it is simple good sense to protect my hearing and be able to hear my passengers map reading directions.

I have heard the argument that they can't be legal because you can't hear horns or screeching tyres etc around you thus reducing your road awareness. But what about 'Jack the lad' with his I.C.E. turned up to max and tooling along totally oblivious to his surroundings? No one has suggested that 'in car' radio should be illegal.

Excessive noise is VERY tiring and as such is, I would suggest, potentially more dangerous.

As an experienced driver, and particularly so when driving the 7, I try to be aware of what is going on around me at all times with constant use of mirrors and observation. I honestly believe that wearing the headsets when I have a passenger simply enhances that.

If I'm on my own then I generally wear ear plugs:- a) because I have nobody to talk to and:- b) because it saves having to take the headsets with you when you leave the car. Bad enough that I have to take the steering wheel but the headsets simply add to the burden if I have no help to carry.

JMO

Brent

i bought a pro-set of headsets and amp from graytronics recently and used them for the drive to le mans. absolutely brilliant! the quality was excellent with little background/wind noise. the graytronics practice headsets were very comfortable and are manufactured by peltor! the pro-amp takes a 9v battery or can be connected to your 12v system. i used a 9v battery which was still working well after 12hrs usage.

the pro-amp also has a cd input available.

you can order direct from graytronics or via their uk distributor, EARS.

Have contacted a few of the suggested people. Thanks Guys!

How about the motorcycle type though which 'Maplins' are now doing on special offer? Was 19.95, now 9.95!!! This has the amplifier, two 'headsets' (microphone on a boom from a clip that goes on the helmet rim [ooh err!]+ two ear pieces on each 'headset').

May be worth a try as cheap it sure is!!!!!!!!!

Their order code number is YE23A

Chris,

Had a play with the cheap intercom in the Seven over the weekend. No noise suppression, so when the microphone is in the airstream, it picks up a fair bit of wind noise. If driver and passenger are wearing helmets, then the system works OK, but you need to make sure the microphone is inside the helmet.

Having said all that, Matthew and I managed to hold a conversation at about 60mph with me wearing full face, and him not, that's a first, as normally I can't hear him from about 40 upwards...teeth.gif

Dave H

Chris - I've had the Maplins job for a while (it was on special ages ago too - which probably makes this the first time that I've not paid more for something than you! Hoorah!).

Works fine IMO.

I rarely travel 2 up though so it hasn't had much use. When I finally go aeroscreened I suspect I'll use it much more.

Heading back to legality for a second, according to a policeman in the traffic law dept at New Scotland Yard there is no law against them (or at least there wasn't 7 years ago) and as you may drive a car whilst being deaf - so an intercom is no problem. However, if you then put a personal stereo through the intercom; then you'll fall foul of the law!

This was tested a couple of years ago whilst caught in traffic behind White Hart Lane on a Saturday afternoon, and a mounted policeman called down asking if we had music coming through the headsets. The fact that I heard him and replied that it was just an intercom without having to remove the headsets seemed to passify him.

Whilst things may make sense, it does not help if you go out of your way to attract the attention of the law.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!