Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Le Mans: what is the engine in the MG

Pierre Gillet

The engine is purpose built by an Essex company called AER. It was made prior to last year's Le Mans in less than six months from drawing to metal. 2 litre turbo producing 520 bhp. I think last year they were lapping fastest in their class.

It is not a K Series.

AMMO

Thanks guys et Mademoiselle.

The reason I asked this stupid question is that watching EuroSport in English (in a desperate attempt to understand this language!), I thought the reporter mentioned "K series", but I was not sure he was referring to the engine.

Pierre, your English is far better than my French blush.gif but since you posted details of your little chat room over there, I've had a sneaky look and will spend time translating (to the best of my ability) the colloquialisms - prior to my little trip to sample the delights of Bordeaux at the beginning of next month.... hic wink.gif

FH

Very good idea! Two differences though with the very classy L7C forums...

Firstly, some of our people type as they speak and you will soon notice that the spelling is not always right. Especially our good buddy CatMan just does not care and his French spelling is just awesome. This may happen to me also am I afraid in some limited cases (I hope) !

Secondly, the people are all very young and very enthusiastic and very...direct. So do not be surprised!

FullHarness

The Caterham enthusiasts of our little French speaking chat room

http://www.blatchat.com/post.asp?forum_id=8&method=reply&forum_title=TechTalk&topic_id=16013&topic_title=Le+Mans%3A+what+is+the+engine+in+the+MG&M=False&P=False are now informed that FullHarness is reading them. I just posted a little message for them with a quote from you. I hope you do not mind they are now aware of your delicate appreciation of Bordeaux wines!

Full specification

Engine: MG XP-20, 2.0-litre in-line four-cylinder, turbocharged and intercooled

Power: around 450 bhp, potential top speed of around 215 mph

Transmission: six-speed sequential gearbox, lightweight magnesium main case, carbon pull-type clutch

Cooling system: aluminium water and oil radiators, intercooler

Chassis: one-piece carbonfibre composite monocoque

Suspension: fabricated steel double wishbones front and rear, front suspension pivoting on flexures

Brakes: 355 mm x 35 mm carbonfibre discs; 152 mm x 53 mm x 25 mm carbon pads

Wheels: forged magnesium

Front: 18-inch on 11J rims

Rear: 18-inch on 13J rims

Tyres (cm/ratio): Front 27/65 x 18-inch, rear 31/71 x 18

Steering: rack and pinion

Length x width: 14 ft 9 in x 6 ft 7 in

Wheelbase: 9 ft

Front track: 5 ft 9 in

Rear track: 5 ft 3 in

Weight: 675 kg

Fuel-tank capacity: 90 litres

more info

http://4car.co.uk/special/mglemans/index.htm

Steve

My racing pics hereid=red>

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

hereid=red>

Edited by - stevefoster on 15 Jun 2002 21:02:05

Pierre,

The commentator did say the engine was a K series, but at the time there was a blue/red car in shot. It may be that there is another car running in a lower class with this type, but less complex engine ?

Both 'K's out then...

The first disappointment came after midnight on lap 129 when the car #26 (driven by Anthony Reid, Warren Hughes and Jonny Kane) retired with transmission failure, when running strongly in 4th overall.

MG car No. 27 (driven by Mark Blundell, Julian Bailey and Kevin McGarrity) carried on relentlessly through the night gaining positions and by early morning having completed two thirds of the race period suffered an engine problem on lap 219 - with no warning.

"At 7.37am local time a sudden plume of smoke from the rear of the car as Kevin took it through the second chicane on the Mulsanne signalled that the car had a problem, and the car slowed and pulled off on the right hand side of the track. Despite all the efforts of the driver and the team the dream was over. The car was 11th overall at the time, and leading the LMP675 category.

That'll be the poly V dry sump belt off then....

Steve

My racing pics hereid=red>

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

hereid=red>

Edited by - stevefoster on 16 Jun 2002 09:06:09

Pierre

AMMO is right. I spoke with one of the mechanics (one of the guys with green hair) during pit walk about on Friday. Engine is a 'one off'. Designed and built by AER and no similarity to K series. I asked if it really did develop 520 bhp as published. It seems that this is probably the figure for the race, with boost turned up in qualifying it is apparently somewhere above 550 bhp and 600 bhp!! Fastest speed they recorded on their telemetry was apparently 201mph.

P.S. Anthony Reid was mega impressive in the car and apparently a little too agressive for Andy Wallace in the Bentley team as he was complaining about a ding up the rear.

Paul R.

C7PPR

Paul,, they don't like it up 'em you know....good on MG! Now that Audi have won 3 on the trot, do you think they might go for a 4th with the closed version of the car next year? wink.gif...They'd probably have to run two to be sure of success, though

Would a Caterham do well at Le mans? It is very much a top speed circuit where as the Nurburgring is twisty and quick. Surely the Caterham would require hundreds of thousands of devlopment with wings and undertrays etc. to make it even vaguely competetive.

Read the Autocar article on the Caterham at the Ring it describes how a Viper (of all things ) descimates the Caterham on the 3 KM straight but is wildly outclassed in the twisty bits.

Makes you proud to own a Caterham!

I have previously commented that the Nurburgring is a power circuit, which is borne out in the numbers. 43% of the laptime is spent going in a straight line as opposed to 28% at somewhere like Cadwell. The Nurburgring is a stunning anachronism and a good lap is something special, but it is daft to expect a car with lousy aerodynamics to hold off allcomers.

I would expect Le Mans to be similar.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 18 Jun 2002 15:20:05

I'm interested if cars like the Westfield XTR2, Radical and so on would be any good at these circuits. I suspect not, as they run approximately half the power of the Le Man cars even with the super upgrades (to 250bhp) that the Radical has to its Hayabusa engine. Westfield implied that an XTR3 with Subaru power might be available. This could potentially give the Westfield 300+bhp which might make it a player.

Doesn't Stijn drives a C21 at the Spa24? What makes this, and Caterhams at the ring possible, that Le Mans isn't?

Top speed is a function of the cube root of the power available. If you have double the power, top speed only goes up by a factor of 1.26.

I don't think it was an SR3, but Richard Ince reported testing a Radical at Silverstone GP before he bought his SR3, making ~169mph on the Hangar straight and 13-18 seconds faster on the lap than an R500. Don't even know if this was with the 252bhp engine.

That sort of top speed capability is obviously way ahead of a Caterham and will count for a lot at the Nurburgring. The Radical also benefits from aero downforce allowing much more speed to be carried through the fast corners. Suspension is also full race rose-jointed on a stiffer chassis, so mechanical grip should be higher too.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>