Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which spare track day wheels?

NoLimits

I have a new SLR with Roler barrels. I have just ordered a trailer from Brian James Trailers for sprint and track day visits.

What spare wheels/tyres should i go for?

Money is an object. Should i go for straight forward respectively sized Superlights or Compomotives examples. Or pay for a similar set of split rim magnesium jobs from Caterham?

Tyres are not so much of a problem.

CR500's on at present for the road and i will retain these.

So i will either get ACB10's for sprints and slicks for track day. (I have a local tyre suppliers who rally's. They are no longer allowed to run slicks or cut tyres due to regs. Loads left over!)

What would you do?

MY 51VEN - SLR

Hows the car going mate? nice spending a couple of hours with you at Curborough. Mines arrived now and I've got the same quandry as you. I think I'll opt for minilite type 6" front and 7" rear on mine for sprints fitted with list 1a rubber.

On non 7 club sprints if you use anything outside list 1a you are pitched up against slick shod monsters. For track days I think I'd just run the split rims it came with and the CR500'S and replace them when they're knackered.

Cheers,

Kenny

Hi Kenny I've sent you and off air email with more blurb about the cars etc!

I agree with you about the sprints etc. But the CR500's are not cheap so i thought i'd keep them for the road.

Hence ACB10/slicks for sprint/track as i understand them to offer greater performance for similar money!

See ya

MY 51VEN - SLR

CR500s don't stand up too well to dry trackdays in hot weather although there is a rumour that the compounds are different this year, so a second set is a good idea. ACB10s or slicks are much better and you will notice the difference. With such a pairing, you can keep the CR500s on for wet days.

What you don't want is to be overheating your rear tyres on track after just a few laps. You certainly need a 7 inch tyre on the back as a minimum. If you got a set of rims to take 7 inch all round you can manage tyre wear a bit better. You can run 7in ACB10s on a 6J rim, but I think they sit better on a wider rim.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

I agree with Peter totally. Also (something that people don't seem to talk about much) cars with standard wheel sizes (6.5" front, 8.5" rears, I think) are very prone to understeer. I find that 7" tyres all round - I normally use slicks on track - give much better balance, so unless you are really concerned about absolute speed this is the way to go. As Peter also says, if all 4 wheels/tyres are the same, you can swap them round to equalise wear.