Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Soft steering column?

NigeB

Hi,

I have a recurring problem with the steering on my 1998 K-series Roadsport. It's fitted with a MOMO quick-release steering wheel, but unlike many of the posts I've read, I don't find a lot of play in the boss. All of the problems I have seem to be caused by the apparent softness of the metal that the column itself is made of. The large grub screw (which on my machine is locked with a nut that tightens around the outside) in the middle of the upper clamp leaves serious indents in the column metal, and eventually this leads to play.

Last year I tried to address the problem by having the end of the grub screw filed flat and placing a steel plate approx 3 mm thick and 1 cm long, with the same width as the column, between the column and the grub screw to try and distribute the clamping pressure without causing deformation (getting the plate in required making up a couple of spacers to expand the clamp assembly). This improved the situation, but after about 5000 miles the problem has returned - when I turn the steering wheel I can see the upper clamp assembly slip around the column bar for perhaps 2 or 3 degrees before it begins to get purchase on the column.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it worth looking for a fancy aftermarket column?

Thanks

Nige

I have recently become aware of exactly the same problem having had a Momo fitted to my 96 K series approx 5 k miles ago.

Coincidentially, had a close look at the problem this PM. I have not tried anything as yet, apart from checking that everything was tight so I hope that somebody comes back with a few thoughts on how to fix the problem.

Richard H

40th Anniversary No 3

I assume you guys are tighening the clamp per:

Insert the grub screw loosely into the clamp. Secure the two halves of the clamp using two bolts (2), plain washers (10) and spring washers (11). Tighten the grub screw with an Allen key to eliminate any free play in the steering. Lock the grub screw into place using lock nut (6).

Personally I've only ever had to do this onece, and that was because the car was getting a bit overhaul prior to the usa trip in 2005...

I've only done it once too - 7 years and 30,000 miles ago when I built it.

The grub screw is supposed to dig into the shaft - that's how they lock and work. In-fact, in some instances, you would deliberately dimple the shaft to assist in retaining gears, pulleys etc.

Bri

• 2 months later...

Hi Bricol, Mav,

This is a SERIOUSLY belated thank you; I posted my original message soon after returning from holiday, ended up putting my toy in the garage, and sadly due to work commitments there she has remained. In the mean time, out of sight has been out of mind, as was my post.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I believe the problem is the spring washer part of the assembly that you pointed out, Mav. Or rather, the lack of spring washers in my assembly... I've got some bits now (3 pence per washer from my local hardware store - I didn't think you could buy anything for 3 p these days) and will fit them before hitting the road again. Which at this rate might be quite some time...

Thanks once again for responding to my post.

Cheers

Nigel

You need to preload the grub screw. Tightening it alone as described above WILL NOT work and could in fact be dangerous. A flat screw will only make matters worse I would have thought.

Procedure:

Unload the two bolts that do the clamping and screw the grub screw in so that it is about 1mm proud. A bit farther if you are aiming for an existing 'ding' in the column.

Apply a little suitable thread lock to the grub and the clamp bolts for extra security.

Suitably tighten the locking nut.

Now tightening the two clamping bolts evenly to force the grub screw in to the column.

Use mechanical sympathy understanding to feel what it right with regard to torque applied.

Done properly this results in a force on the grub screw greater than could be achieved by just turning it and the assemble will remain done up properly for the life of the vehicle or until you next undo it.

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 17 Dec 2008 10:51:22