Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Is my starter motor on its way out?

Geoff Wilcx

K series with starter as below.

https://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/popup_image.php?pID=4387&osCsid=bcf65f2f1a021f78cc259606cfa67992

Recently the starter has failed to operate when the engine is hot - upon pressing the starter button I get a "click" which I assume is the solenoid but no starter motor.

If I leave the car with the bonnet of to cool down the starter will then operate. Takes between 5 and 10 monutes to cool down.

Its happened 3 times in the last 6 weeks - the last two times have been in the last 24 hours.

Is my starter on its way out - if so does anyone know if a standard K series motor will fit ( i have 2 spares in garage) and if so anyone know where I can get the Caterham supplied one O/hauled.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk

Geoff, I have had the same problem with the starter motor on my K Series. It was the solenoid that is attached to the starter. Take the starter off and take it to an Auto Electrical place that you can trust, and they will overhaul the starter for you.It cost about £40, but it has been fine ever since. Apparently, it is a common problem, due to the starter motors close proximity to the exhaust manifold.

Thanks for all the help guys - I'm going to double check that its not a lose conector then install a slave relay to boost the juice going to the solenoid.

If its heat related is there any benefit in fitting insulation tape to my exhaust headers.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk

hen install a slave relay to boost the juice going to the solenoid.

May I suggest that you do *not* piggy-back this off the MFRU using Scotchlock 'taps' as I did a few years ago here

Over time, this caused more problems than it solved - and due to poor connections through the taps, I'd end up having to start with a flylead straight from the battery to the solenoid.

In the end (recently) I rewired the 'bypass' relay so that it was triggered direct from the Big-Red-Button/ignition switch - the minor relay in the MFRU is redundant. It takes it's main power from the switched-positive that runs through my FIA-cutout and takes an earth direct to the battery. It was actually a hell of a lot easier to set up than the original bypass - no hunting for certain mysterious wires in a great bundle.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com