Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Freshly built Caterham Super Blackbird 375kg 190hp.

Julian Thompson

Paul - absolutely - the problem is that I have spent a year and over a thousand hours building it (and fifty grand) and never driven it. You have driven your car all season when you put it on the axle stands!

"If only" I'd managed to get one or two goes in it I think I'd have been able to rest but it just feels all wrong.

Also - perhaps my emotions are all over the place because tomorrow - on paper - I'm going to be a dad for the first time.

I feel guilty for even thinking about the car to be honest but I guess it's only like a climber or something preparing for an expedition for a year and investing huge amounts of money but then to have the expedition cancelled until the following year - doing that car has taken every spare second of my time for so long and therefore no matter how much I try to put it to the back of my mind and concentrate on the family it's always there in the background niggling at me: "Nice job but I wonder what it's like on the track 😳"

Anyway.

I really appreciate all the support on this - I reckon I'm properly mixed up about it so thanks a million for taking the time to help me.

Fingers crossed I'll be posting of my joy at being a Dad very soon and I'll then hopefully feel a bit happier!

In the meantime if you do have thirty grand kicking about and you want something very special (IMHO!) then I'd be keen to talk.

If it sells it sells - if not then it's time to take it like a man and stick it on the axle stands until the spring. Simple as that I guess. *thumbup*

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand your thinking completely having spent many hours, much heartache and plenty of money on my own 7 to get it to where it was and then losing interest in it as you have done. Good luck with the sale of what sounds a superb piece of engineering and good luck too with the impending arrival. *thumbup*

Julian,

You must be a bit mixed up with nerves/excitement. Take a deep wiff of petrol and remember you're a man.

Paternity leave was designed for trackdays.

Willie

p.s. For what its worth, having watched my sister and her husband in the early days of parenting over the last year or so, its obvious that everything else becomes insignificant, espically before, and for the immediate months after the big event. However, they both aren't as giddy anymore and enjoy their hobbies almost as respite. I'd advise, as others have, to hang on to the car until spring. Its not going to be used much over winter by anyone, so wait til spring and if you still aren't fussed on it, at least sell it then when the market is better.

Julian, I am 100% with you, when you finish you have sort of walked the whole route of finding solutions for various problems. It's most satifying building something extra ordenairy and when it's finished it's finished. Thats how it felt for me.

However i enjoy my 7 again after a sabatical of 2 years from it, still it's difficult to resist the thinking if i just change this detail ..... it might be 0.0001% better in my own mind.

Good luck with the sale

Edited by - elie boone on 29 Sep 2008 15:29:51

I'll echo, what has been said. I felt a little hollow once i'd finished rebuilding my car.

But I'll go witht he others as well on the drive it first. You may just change your mind.

Oh yes Congratulations for you and your wifes new addition. *wavey* I think your mind will be elsewhere for a while. *wink*

I think you have a point elie boone and Gambo. I think that coming to the end of any unique project leaves you with a rather empty feeling; it did with me after designing and project managing a house extension and then again after a complete 1 year rebuild on my next house. That feeling is as a result of the problems having been resolved and the 'excitement of the chase' being over.

My view is that you do need to pause before doing anything you'll regret in the heat of the moment.

In Julian's case, there seems to be no rush anyway.

The excitement of being a *smile* Dad *smile* will take over and other things will slot into place *thumbup*

😬

No baby yet....but it's got to be close surely - the suspense is killing me!!!! *wink*

...but you guys have helped me terrifically - honestly I'm not just saying that - I feel a whole heap better now.

I am now relaxed and philosophical about it. If a club member came along and wanted to buy the car I'd sell it and feel excited about doing something different next year and about the fun that the new owner is going to have. Sometimes things just need new energy.

On the other hand if the economic conditions preclude any likeminded nutters from handing over that kind of wedge for a bathtub on wheels then that's cool too - I am taking Mav's original advice that was echoed so much of graciously retiring the car and any aspirations for the rest of the year to concentrate on the family.

And then next year I'm going to have a fabulous time.

Thanks an absolute million! *thumbup*

Hi Chaps *wavey*

No baby yet...

...little blighter is a week late now!

On the car front the freshly made 24-2 trigger wheel is now complete and has been sent to Alan at DTA for inspection. We're then hoping to fit it and declare victory over the project 😬

Will let you know what happens....(with both things!) *wavey*

• Area Representative

Mark,

Oh and if you are not already, speak to Nick Chan - he has a couple of quid burning a hole in his pocket....

Too late - whilst enjoying yourself over in Singapore 😬

Nick

Back in a BEC!