Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice on replacing pistons?????

mosv

Upon stripping the engine (1.6 k-series) I discovered that the big bang and cloud of smoke was the result of no.1 piston failing.

So am now wondering if it is best to replace all the pistons or just the one thats gone? Also, the best place to get the pistons and gaskets from, I want good quality but I don't want to be ripped off?

Is there anything else that needs to be changed in the process?

My car has done less than 10k, so any ideas as to why this has happened?

Could it be the oil that I use or the way that I drive, or is it just unfortunate and s**t happens?

I really don't want to spend hundreds of pounds for it to happen again!!

Any advice would be greatly received.

*confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused*

• Support Team

Is it a SuperSport engine? The standard pistons are allegedly marginal for the red line the Superpsort is set to.

I would replace all 4 pistons with forged items. As above contact Dave Andrews at DVA Power. There are some mods you can have done to the oilways and oil pump and you can get the liner standoff checked and corrected if necessary. New bearings and headgasket will have your engine better than new.

Of course a conversation with Dave can end up very expensive once you are tempted by the dark side 😬.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

As stated the stock pistons are margınal over 6800, SS variants have a rev lımıt of 7400 or 7600 which is well beyond the piston's comfort zone and İ have seen many failures. Forged pıstons wıth mods to the rods for fully floatıng operatıon would be prudent. The liners could probably be flex honed and re-used at that mıleage.

gosh this turkish keyboard ıs fun....

Oily

a holed K series piston is an ideal opportunity for a saftey upgrade ( to help justification to the domestic fiancial controller)

the safest means of overtaking is to do it quickly. Your most cost effective route is to instal a Duratec engine with a minimum of 225bhp. This modification will also save you having to buy a piston - so it saves you money in real terms *thumbup* *smokin*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Upgrading to forged pistons last year has resulted in two negative effects:

Piston slap when cold - sounds like a bag of nails for the first few miles.

Oil consumption - around 1litre per 4000 miles is probably 3 times what it was previously.(On Silkolene ProS 5/40)

I believe the MG Trophy 160 pistons are a good halfway house between the standard and forged variants if you can find any.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS