Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Slicks

simonray

I had understood that (crossply) slicks require very little camber to work well. I'd assumed that the pronounced wear that I've experienced on the inner edges of my slicks were because I had too much negative camber (still about one and a half degrees on my currently unadjustable set-up). However, a picture of the factory car that did so well at the Nurburgring 24 hr race in Autosport today shows it to have A LOT of negative camber. Radial slicks, perhaps? Or do they know something I don't. Also, can someone remind me of the procedure for scrubbing in my brand new slicks. Thanks

Simon

IIRC you're doing some racing. Are radials not available?

The Hillclimb fraternity is moving to radials now. Avon are putting soft compounds on F3000 carcasses. What's surprising is how much lighter the tyres are than the crossplies.

Regarding treatment of new slicks here may be interesting.

Paul

That's interesting.

Normal radials are very heavy compared to slick crossply's.

I have found slicks last and last with the sort of abuse I give them on track. I guess for sprints this is less of a consideration but the Ring running would need tyres to last, I would have thought. It is not as though the Ring is a low G force circuit.

Steve

My racing pics hereid=red>

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

hereid=red>

Yes, I'm racing on Avon crossplies, as recommended by BMTR (ARP Formula 3 fronts). I'm also surprised that the radials are so light. I assume this is because the belts are made of something more exotic than steel i.e. kevlar. Thanks for the scrubbing-in info.

Simon