Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rattly VVC engine

Drifter

When I was looking to buy a Rover with the VVC engine I was advised that if it ratled it means it's had/has a lack of oil to the cams, and to stay clear.

Also, if oil was leaking from the cam area/cover then this was an expensive job to replace seals.

I don't know if this was true but the Rover 220 Coupe I did buy (few years ago now)wasn't rattlly.

I'm sure a VVC engine guy will be along soon to clarify *cool*

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬

Some VVC mechs can be noisy but from my experience it can be difficult to tell exactly what it is without some investigation.

I thought mine were rattly & we ( Oily !! ) found out that it was a battered big end bearing ☹️

If it is the mechs try to source some ‘good’ ones 2nd hand as they are bloody expensive new ………………

Or alternatively ditch them and go the solid cam conversion but this is a slippery slippery slope . . . . . . . . . . 😬 😬 😬

Definitely not the gearbox - was having a look at it at a dealer and was suprised at the rattly (sounded like metal on metal) noise that was coming from the engine bay. Think the car had been stood a while so it was a start from cold. It seemed to have all the performance once out on the road but as the dealer was driving, hard to tell if it made the noise when warm or with the clutch depressed.

So I take it that its not a case of TADTS?