Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6sp gearbox problem

Adam

I am now getting a bit worried.

I have just spent a few minutes reading all the posts on gearbox oil over the past days. However, I am a complete beginner on car mechanics.

My car is a 1997 1.6ss with 6 speed. Last serviced in May 2001 by J Whiting. < 4,500 road miles since. No noticeable problems with the gearbox although it can be a "bit sticky" until warm. This has always been the case. Had the car over 2 years.

It has a small leak in the gearbox (like about 10 drops over Xmas when the car isn't used). The leak appears to come from where the clutch cable bit enters the box (that's about as technical as I get). Again this has always been the case and I asked JW about it when it was serviced. Nothing to worry about, they all have a bit of play and small leak, was the reply from JW.

Do I need to get hold of this Redline MTL oil and "top up" ?

How do I "top up" !!

Thanks from a worried owner !

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

Rob,

Thanks.... at least I knew it was a cable !! Told you I was a mechanical moron ! wink.gif

Actually, I was driving to work this morning in the 7 and thought "plonker" you typed clutch & meant speedo so I HAVE learnt something from reading these forums.

Do you think my boss will agree it's part of my development program and surfing this at work is OK ?

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR