Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6sp gearbox problem

Adam

Selecting gears - especially reverse - is often a problem on my 4000mile old box. It is the standard 6sp that comes with the SL package and the car was build by caterham. Also got the dry sump on an 1800SS. The problem is not consistent - some days its impossible to select reverse, other days there is no problem??

Generally got worse with age, and compared to the few other 6sp Ive tried, this one is particular bad.

Any ideas or know any experts who could check it out?

Adam,

How old is the car? I know that Caterham went through quite a few early teething troubles with various elements of the 6 speed box when it was finally introduced.

The 6 speed box also appears to be oil sensitive. Assuming there is enough in it(!) it is apparently much slicker with EP80 grade oil than EP90.

As for checking it clearly Caterham or one of their agents, dependant upon your location would be the first port of call.

Sorry I can't be much help.

Brian

Adam,

How old is the car? I know that Caterham went through quite a few early teething troubles with various elements of the 6 speed box when it was finally introduced.

The 6 speed box also appears to be oil sensitive. Assuming there is enough in it(!) it is apparently much slicker with EP80 grade oil than EP90.

As for checking it clearly Caterham or one of their agents, dependant upon your location would be the first port of call.

Sorry I can't be much help.

Brian

Its just under a year old - so any faults/failures will hopefully be covered.

I guess the current oil type is the standard recommended one - "Caterham gearbox oil" in the gearbox and Comma EP90 in the diff is what is recommended on the chassis plate. Another chap recommended mineral oil in both the diff & gearbox. Im not sure whether EP80 is a mineral type, but Ill give it ago.

I take it theres no adjustment etc as there is no linkages? If changing the oil type doesnt help, I'll try to get the local Caterham dealer to have a look - but you know what its like with intermitten problems.

Edited by - adam on 13 Jun 2002 21:54:20

Hi Adam,

As others have posted the 6 speed is very oil sensitive. Try some Redline MTL in the box. The only external adjustment is to the detent spring which adjusts the centre weighting of the stick, I doubt this will effect revers selection. The only other thing that could effect selection is your clutch adjustment, make sure that there is no drag when the peddle is fully down, this would effect selection.

Rob.

Adam - back in march my <1 year old gearbox became almost impossible to engage / disengage 6th. It went back to caterham and I got a new gearbox under warranty , all they would tell me was that it was a 'manufacturing fault'. So it may be worth a call to see if you have a simialr problem.

However if it is not that there have been a few gearboxes where the circlip within the gear change lever mechanism has moved around and subsequently some gears are impossible to select. itmay be worth taking a look.

rob

Searching the archives will tell you the right oil, but a NON-synthetic, NON-multigrade 80 weight oil is the thing to use. I believe Caterham used to recommend a Ford oil that Ford changed at some point quite recently to something not suitable.

My advice to you would be to get Caterham to look at it anyway. The 6spd is a pricey component that should be covered by warranty. If you get them to look at it at least you've registered your concern. If you then drive it away and it packs up just over the 12mth point you'll have a stronger case to get it sorted FOC.

Note that they did have a few problems with 6spds about a year ago. I know of at least one that was replaced under warranty. There's *nothing* to suggest you have the same problem, but for the peace of mind it's surely worth a trip to them to double check...

Thanks for the replies....

Interesting to hear how many have been replaced under warranty. My first seven - new in Mar 2001 - had the 6sp replaced under warranty. The second 6sp was even worst - but I was told the old "they all do that ..." for the first few miles. The car lived to cover ~2500miles with the second box which got worse. Unfortunately the car had an early demise :-( so I never got the second 6sp sorted.

Now onto second car, third 6sp, and I'm still having problems with the gearbox???

Ill try the oil change, but if that doesnt work looks like Ill be back to Caterham for help.

Do you have the quickshift? SOmetimes these are assembled with the circlip in a position that restrictes access to the reverse gate. It is a simple matter of rotating the circlip in its groove and everything will be much easier.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

I didnt release there was a quickshift option and I dont think Ive got it. Is there an easy way to identify it?

I assume the gearbox is a "standard" 2001/2002 superlight model - but I'll get the tunnel cover off and see if I can see any circlip fouling ..

If it is a standard lever there are no circlips involved.

The standard lever si mounted on a pressed steel flange, and the movement is supplied by an arrangement of nylon bits and bobs. The quickshift is mounted on a natty machined and anodized item, mounting a spherical bearing - the quality of materials on the quickshift is noticeably better, but the function is probably worse.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 14 Jun 2002 13:02:02

re the quickshift:

Geoff Northcott ended up with a spare one and whilst we were taking my car to bits at his house we noticed that the gear stick was very different. I assume that his 2001 car came with the quickshift and that i have the normal item as its from 1996.

I'll try to remember to take pictures of each.

Dave Hooper - dmch2@lineone.net

Adam,

I have a 6sp from August last year with exactly the same problem you describe. Its intermittant and I can't determine a pattern to the ocurrances either. Sometimes happens in other gears as well but by far most common in reverse.

Its been like it since new and when I first reported it to Caterham I was told "they all do that for the first 2500 miles"!

I've now done 3000 and its no better.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with yours and what the cause is, as I will be insistant mine is fixed/replaced under warranty.

Good luck!

Ian - MI 5EVN

PS. If you have time please email me your 'result' as I don't come on techtalk much as I rarely understand a word they're talking about blush.gif!.gif

Edited by - Ian B on 22 Jun 2002 22:18:26

Just had a helping hand from Phil Stewart (via the phone) and think we got to the bottom of this. Basically Ive got the quick-shift with fouling circlip ears ... top marks to Peter C.

Evidently the latest boxes have addressed the problem somehow.

The cause of the problem was fairly obvious - even to me - once I actually looked at the quick-shift mechanism.

Got a couple of pictures if anyone is interested.

Mick Smith tells me he's just replaced his 6 speed oil (his 'box had this crunchy-when-cold syndrome too) with some Redline MTL. Difference is apparently amazing. Great from cold & now even better when warm.Like a switch is how he stated it.

I ordered my two American quarts of MTL from DT on Thurday!!!!!