Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track Day Car - What do I need to keep an eye on!

SpeedFreakDave

Morning Gents,

I am new to the club so hello! I attended Brands this week and had an awesome time, we were very lucky with the weather.

This summer I bought myself a Caterham 2.3 Duratec, one of Bob Walkers. The car has approx 270bhp on a 5 speed gearbox. Long gears, less revvy, but I like it so far! I am using the car for trackdays. So far I have done Rockingham, Lydden, Brands. I am off to Brands next week too!

I have a few questions if you guys could help me out that would be great!

I am running on Yoko A048s as I need to drive to the track. What tyre pressure should I use on the road and the track. Someone has suggested 22 when hot on the track?

How often should I change the oil? And should I top the oil up after every tracck day? I was told that the oil should cover the baffle when running and it always does even after 3 track days - suggesting no need to top up?

Are there any other bits I should check pre - track? I was told to do a quick spanner check but sadly I am not mechanically minded and not sure where to start? I would love to learn! Is there anything else I should change frequently?

What brake pads shall I change to next? Pagids? If so which ones?

What other upgrades are sensible for the track? I have Avo Pro Race shocks.

Who should I use to look after the car too? I live in central london, west, near Kensington.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

• Support Team

21/22psi hot sounds about right - probably 16 to 18 cold depending on ambient temperature.

Check the oil regularly and keep it at the specified level. If you are using a good fully synthetic then no need to change it more than normal - lots of people do but there is no need to. I only do an oil and filter change once a year!

Spanner check - always check the wheel nuts are torqued correctly (55 lbft) and do this several times on a trackday. As they heat up they can come loose (I speak from experience having wrecked a wheel ☹️). Its worth going round all the suspension bolts now and again to make aure none have worked loose.

Brake pads - I a use Pagid RS14s front and RS4-2s rear but there are lots of alternatives - do a search.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Thanks guys!

Ok sounds like I am almost doing the right things! I wasn't checking wheel nuts mid session but I was before and so I will from now on! Good news about the service!

It is quite a car, very fast in but also the longer gears mean gear selection on bends is crucial to get the right gear or it can get bogged down. Power isn't frightening in any way as the car is stable with good torque of around 200 I think!

Can't see any pictures of me on that link! Mine is dark blue with a full cage and aero screen!

Hey any ideas where I can buy those pesky bolts that attach the aero screen! They keeping dropping out! They have an allen key design.

cheers

£399 £399 £399 Doesn't get easier however many times I say it. All I can say is well done to Geoff for getting the club day so cheap!

Much as I need a fix that is just too much compared to say 2 days at Cadwell which I would prefer anyway.

I normally post on chit chat if I see a trackday i fancy so hopefully will see you before the salt is on the road.

Best

Will