Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyre choice to limit understeer

pinkprincess

With little in the way of adjustment on a 1.4K Classic I'm looking to try and cure, or at least reduce, high corner speed understeer using a standard setup.

After Brands this week my A021R's are down to the wear bars so as they need replacing should I just choose an alternative, just as grippy yet not-too-soft tyre? Any recommendations that'll be available in 13" with preferably 60 profile?

Or stick to the 21's and alter the setup with e.g. different front ARB?

Or what else can be done? (cheap fix as possible please) *wink*

I like the 21's but am willing to try something different to limit front wear if need be.

*thumbup*

RW04FUN and BHK47A

RW08FUN

Rich

I think you'll find that the suspension set up is more important than the tyres in controlling understeer.

If you have/ get the adjustable suspension platform/ collars the car can be flat floored and the height differential between front and rear can be altered.

Make sure that the front camber and toe in are set correctly and then consider a thinner roll bar(what do you run with at the moment)

Someone with more technical skill than me will be along to advise on the right set up or have a search for flat flooring in tech forum.

Once you have done that buy some new tyres, A021s are a fine compromise, there are stickier tyres but they are not the "cause" of the understeer.I rarely get understeer and I run A539s or Stunner Scudos, both with less grip than A021s

Have fun *smile*

At Brands I had understeer like I have never had before. The LHF tyre took a load of abuse and suffered from very severe graining. Nothing I could do with driving style could counter it and it wasn't a fast way around the track. I had to make a load of damper adjustments to get the car working, but by the time the dampers were in the ballpark the tyre was so degraded it still wasn't going to hook up.

It struck me that Brands is very hard on tyres if you don't have the setup spot on.

Thanks all.

Tempted to stick with the cheap method of turning while braking for now, if only to shift weight forward, though it won't give me much more in the way of tyre longevity (but since when have any of us been too bothered about that??!)

It's the standard Classic setup of 1/2" front ARB, no rear, no adjustable platforms. Shouldn't complain really.

Still had a great day 😬

RW04FUN and BHK47A

RW08FUN

• Area Representative

Rich, on a recent trip to the Ring I experienced a similar type of problem and had addressed the tyres (R888) and tyre pressures, the suspension had been take care of via Freestyle and I run with wide track and anti roll bar. After careful examination of my previous laps it was indeed over exuberance that was the cause of my understeer, so I did as suggested above and adapted my approach. I still managed to find a little understeer but not much… Worked for me *thumbup*

If you’re behind me and can read this, its because I’m letting you.... Pee Wee

*arrowright*Pictures here *arrowleft*

Switching from A021Rs to A048Rs (Soft) front and A048Rs (Med) rear in conjunction with a change to my driving style (more gradual turn-in) has left my car on the oversteery side of neutral with just 138BHP.

Depending on the sump arrangement you have, you might need to be concerned about oil surge if you use stickier tyres.

Ian and Debbie 😬 1.6K SS Superlight #006

Penn Sevens Here