Upgrading a Supersprint 1700

a7bca

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

thanks again everyone.

re the liner and forged pistons. james whiting did suggest this route. but i think unless i am dedicated to stay xflow, then the cost starts to go up and then the differential to upgrade to a new, more powerful etc, etc engine becomes hard to resist...

re the pistons breaking, that is good ( i think ???? *eek*) to know that it is at least normal....

james

-----------------------------------------------------

Caterham Red 1991 De-Dion 1700 xflow soon to be .... 2.0L Zetec

my car habit...

Ashaughnessy, Russell M and Bob Stark, thanks for your replies and links, I'll be ordering the two Ford unions RK suggests, and then bore and tap my rocker cover to suit. One of my customers has a Xflow Westie in his workshop with guess what? Massive oil dumpage into breather bottle lol! Guess which car we'll be guinnea-pigging?

Cheers! *thumbup*

• Leadership Team

I bought the engine Rob Grigsby mentions earlier when I was pondering the same issues as you. Likewise I have limited technical ability and decided to buy the whole engine rather than upgrade the existing unit. I went from famine to feast 😬 -as it was (still is somehwere) a 193HP all steel affair 😬

again however I realised that having such a highly specced engine would require more TLC and general upkeep than I had the time or skill to devote to it. A Mr King special...very special *thumbup*

I guess you are not looking to go quite that far though

Rog

• 4 weeks later...