Click here if you are having website access problems ×

vauxhall xe engine

peter2704

help,

running a vauxhall 2.0l xe on twin 45's,4-1exhaust with 163bhp@wheels.does anybody have any views on going from 2d ignition to 3d,or has actually done it.what differences did it make?performance and fuel econ,what system was used,and would it get rid of what I can only describe as fluffy at low rev's syndrome,fuel injection's to expensive at the moment.

many thanks

peter

Although I changed from 2d to 3d with the fuel injection, I would have thought that going to a twin coil setup 3d ignition should go a long way to smoothening out the flatspots. Some of the claims for economy improvement are harder to believe though as the carbs still control the fuel fed to the engine. I know some people have said it improved it dramatically and others who said it didn't make much difference to economy.

I'd have thought going to a system which could also control injectors would be a good idea if you plan to go for TB injection at a later date. I've had no problems with my DTA ignition although I'm not sure if you can use it for ignition timing without injector control although I can't see why that should be a problem. This also gives you water and air temp compensation, launch control if you fit speed sensors to front and back wheels, rev limiter, shift light and some form of rudimentry telemetry recording for a couple of minutes. The software is easy to use and allows real time mapping for rolling roads as well as full editing facilities of the map. I'd contact QED for their advice on using the DTA setup. Alternatively, if Roger King is out there, he may sell you the weber alpha setup which I've heard good things about as well, although I'm not sure how user mapable it is.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Edited by - Alex Wong on 23 Aug 2000 23:47:32

SBD can do you an MBE system that will do ignition control only and then allow you to upgrade to fuel injection later. This is the same MBE engine management box that is used on the SLR500 so that's good street cred....

Fuel injection and 3D ignition will sort out all sorts of driveability problems, how much of this is fuel and how much ignition I can't say.

Talk to SBD for advice, 0208 391 0121.