Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Different Oil Pressure Sender?

viperbl

We have a lot of problems with the K Series oil pressure sender failing, I was thinking as opposed to going the manual route to buy another, different sender and try that?

Am I missing something as to why we need to stick with the caterham one? at worst we may need to change the gauge to work with the new sender but they sell loads of these on ebay.

Edited by - viperbl on 15 Sep 2008 10:18:41

There are probably a number of reasons why these senders fail : vibration & location are 2 possible reasons; & others have cited quaility. I used to have a VDO sendor & gauge. The sender continued to work satisfactorily for a few years even after it contacted some concrete at a track day. It was touching the ground for lap after lap & part of the casing got worn away. After that I resited using a remote extension. it continued in service until I replaced the gauge with an SPA one, again with the sensor mounted remotely.

So if you want to continue with the CC branded gauge (made by Caerbont) you will have to scout around for a sender which produces the correct reading at the gauge.

However many have moved to a mechanical gauge such as Mocal & Racetech.

• Area Representative
Does anyone know the thread size? Is it 7/16ths UNF?

It depends on the age of the car, but on my 2002 car, the sender was M12x1.5. Some cars have M10, but I'm not sure of the pitch.

But my new Stack mechanical gauge is much better than the standard electrical one ever was!

Just been having a look, the manual stack one is only 35 quid! i'd need an adaptor to change it to M12x1.5 and of course feed the pipework but at the end of the day, I suppose it has less chance of breaking ...

I would like to put a proper stack sender in etc but would rather not spend the money right now, so I thinkt he manual one has to be the way forward ...

• Area Representative

I too have gone the mechanical route with a Racetech gauge and it is recommended. You can however make big improvementrs with the standard sender. The main problem seems to be water entering. When fitting a new one, seal the gap around the terminal with silicon. It will prolong the accurate life of the sender.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

When my Caterham sender gave up the ghost, I took a gamble and ordered a Racetech sender (Part No. RP-AST-OS) and suitable adapter (Part No. ADP-M12X15A) from Merlin Motorsport. I didn't know whether that sender was compatible with the Caterham gauge. However, having found out that the gauges are just ammeters, I simply measured the resistance of a known good Caterham sender and my Racetech one under no pressure. The resistances were 310 and 306 ohms respectively and so I am reasonably confident that I am getting an accurate reading, at least at the low end of the scale.

Somebody who followed this route was concerned that the adapter, which is brass (despite what it says on the Merlin web site), was not up to the job. I subsequently did some sums and reckon it's fine, but there is a steel adapter available for added reassurance.

FWIW ...

Adam

Edited by - AdamQ on 16 Sep 2008 07:45:51

I went through two think automotive mechanical guages as they consistently read 10-15 psi lower (even more when cold!) than a hand held snap on guage. I spent most of my time looking at the guage rather than the road!

I opted for the Stack mechanical and it's first class. It also seems to dampen/smooth out the pressure readings giving you a more consistent read out. Plus they look sexy *wink*

Ben

as they consistently read 10-15 psi lower (even more when cold!) than a hand held snap on guage.
How do you know the Snap-On gauge was accurate? At the end of the day these things are only a "gauge" of what 's happening. That's why they're called worry gauges & why mainstream manufactures no longer have figures on their gauges.

Incidentaly have you noticed that all mainstream temperature gauges go up half way & then never shift even when stuck in traffic on a hot day?

Oh, so many options!!!!! Cheers guys!

Not a bad idea that tho, relocating the sender away from water and most of the vibration but keeping oil out of the cabin ...

GPR sent me an email, they are doing specials on duel digital, so I could get oil pressure and temp on the same guage (I do like my digital *tongue*)

Would the current oil temp sender work with a new gaugh tho ...

Edited by - viperbl on 16 Sep 2008 13:39:15

Hi Mick, I don't know that the snap on was necessarily accurate, but I also fitted a oil pressure light that went on when the pressure hit 25psi. It never lit up, despite the fitted gauge telling me I had.

The new Stack gauge now alignes with the snapon readout, so all in all a process of deduction *thumbup*

In terms of SPA then the senders come with the gauge, can't comment on the others but I'm sure this would be the same with most gauges.

Beware some digital (particularly SPA) gauges do not look great from the viewing angle in a seven, it doesn't bother me (SPA oil & water temp ) but some find they prefer to rotate the gauge to alter the viewing angle.

I've got a Stack mechanical gauge to fit, since the electronic one has a habit of going crazy sometimes - I now suspect because it's mounted to engine, so I'll move it. I thought it was 1/8npt, but the sender looks far bigger than that - anyone know offhand before I order the wrong bits from Think? I was going to get a t-piece on a length of braided line.