Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting pedal box to older car

ashaughnessy

I've got an older live axle seven that doesn't have the enclosed pedal box. I'd like to fit a pedal box because I sometimes get scrutineers complaining. Is it possible to fit the normal pedal box to my car? If not, how would you go about solving the problem?

I've got a cable clutch operation and the master cylinder is standard for that year (1987).

Anthony

There is a retro-fit pedal box assembly available for the early De-Dion chassis and I have fitted one to my car, about £50 IIRC.

It should fit a live axle chassiss with little or no mods but you do need some fabrication and or welding skills to fit it.

Also be aware that the "assembly" consists of one part and does not include the cover which was an extra!!!

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Sorry to resurect this thread form last year, but.......

J.R. or anyone else, do you have some more info on the retro fit petal box?

Does it give the extra couple of inches leg room as in the 1994 chassis change?

Or would it be the same as the pedal box fitted pre-1994?

Thanks,

Nick.

Nick,

The pedalbox is really only a box that covers the top of the padal assembly.

On older cars (short cockpit?) there is no box fitted at all.

You can see your toes from the engine bay.

As RAC scrutineers like to see a "fireproof" bulkhead, earlier cars sometimes have problems when sprinting.

Drop me an email and I can forward you a copy of an old article from Low Flying that shows you how to make one.

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

Steve,

Thanks for the info.

I was a bit concerned about the leg room (6' 1" most of it leg!) from a 7 I sat in a couple of weeks ago. It was a long cockpit live axle around 1986/87 I think and my knes were touching the sterring wheel!!

However I have been for a blat in a couple of 7's today. A 1995 live axle which had plenty of leg room and a 1988 De-dion which felt a bit shorter, but was still OK.

So, no probs with the leg room, just need to take the seat adusters off (when I get a car) to drop it down a bit so that the windscreen surround is not at eye level!!!

Thanks,

Nick.

The pedal box assembly I fitted is designed for the early (pre 90?) De -dion chassis which looks the same in that area to the live axle chassis.

Fabrication skills needed because it comes without fixings or holes and has to be bronze welded or fabricated for mechanical fixings.

It used the existing pedals and didnt give any more legroom but does have 2 pedal pivot shaft locations.

Dont know if the part is still listed, and think that the drawings may have been lost as mine had to be specially made by arch after the first one appeared to only fit a LH drive car.

Nick,

Im 6' 1" and I sit in a long cotpit LA no hassles..

alot of differance can come down to what seats they have in them and the size of the wheel..

IMHO this can make the differance of about 1-2 inches..

just something to think about

Chris