Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Swindon 235...... spot the new boy

Matt Sullivan

After months of following the chit-chat with interest, I get to post my first ever message, so please be gentle .......

I'm now the proud owner of a 1991 Vx Carb Swindon stage 2 with 235BHP. After years of TVR ownership, I now have a car with performance AND handling, and am well chuffed with it.

Anyway, could anyone answer the following queries:

1. What exactly did Swindon do? The factory seem undecided as to whether the head was changed completely, or just the cams mod'd?

2. What fuel? I know the 2.0 Vauxhalls can handle unleaded as standard, but if the head was changed ...?

3. Are Swindon Engineering still around and does anyone have a number for them?

4. Any fellow Swindow owners out there that may have tips etc?

Any thoughts, much appreciated.

Cheers, Matt.

Matt, I have no idea about your questions but your car sounds interesting.

I am also a newcomer to 7's.(waiting for my 1600 superlight...)

What spec is the engine? I am assuming that is it 2000cc but what cams/pistons/head/inlet/management is it running.

Sounds like it will be mighty fast anyway. Cheers.

Simon.

X777CAT

Matt,

I cannot guarantee that the following is exactly correct, but it is likely that the following has been done.

Cam followers converted to solid operation and uprated cams used

Head probably gasflowed

Uprated big end bolts

Not sure if the pistons are uprated or standard (I would use a purpose made piston from choice)

Carburettor mods - choke sizes, jetting etc

Possible remapped ignition ECU

Uprated valve springs are possible, but in many cases were left standard

In the absence of information about the compression ratio it would be wise to run on superunleaded fuel unless you can get confirmation that standard unleaded is OK. To say the least it is highly unlikely that the valve seat inserts have been modified to need leaded fuel.

Try Swindon on 01793 531321. If that doesn't work (it's a while since I rang them), give me a ring on 01992 421111 and I may be able to find a more recent number

Edited by - roger king on 24 Aug 2000 01:36:55

I have an XE with QED engine mods, and while unleaded/super unleaded makes no discernable difference to absolute performance, with Super it seems to pull a bit more cleanly at lower revs, with less stuttering and what have you - maybe it doesn't detinate as readily as the lower octane premium.

Or maybe it's just my imagination.

I´d go for super unleaded as I use it too and am very confident with it. Volkswagen for example also recommends super unleaded for it´s VR6 and claims officialy a drop in torque if you switch for normal unleaded. It´s written down in my manual. So you still have the choice...

1. 235bhp is a fairly simple tune for the Vauxhall. You can get this with cams only without any mods to the head. I would guess that to get 235bhp in 1991 they would have done some tidying up of the ports but nothing too radical. Other mods are likely to be new pistons or std pistons with valve pockets and rod bolts. In 1991 cam profiles weren't so clever so 235 bhp might have meant solid lifters, today you can get up to 250bhp with hydraulic liters.

2. Fuel? - Are we talking carbs or injection? It could have been set up for either. If it was mapped / jetted / set-up for normal unleaded it will be OK on normal but super will give additional confidence. If it was mapped / jetted / set-up for super then it should run super to avoid det. It could probably do with some checking as super this year is 97 whereas it used to be 98 octane. The head has valve seats that are quite happy with unleaded.

3. Swindon Racing Engines are still around but tend to deal mainly with serious teams rather than the public. I have worked in Swindon but have no idea where they are.

Thanks for all your replies thus far.

From what I know, the stage 2 235BHP upgrade included uprated cams, and re-jetted 45 DCOE's. Caterham's showroom (not factory) 'thought' that the pistons had been changed and the head 'uprated'. These comments combined with the inference that I should be using LRP got me slightly concerned!

I was pretty sure the LRP recommendation was incorrect, so I'll be sticking with super-unleaded to be safe. (This is not a whinge about Caterham's showroom incidentally, they were great, its just that there seemed some uncertainty over some pretty fundamental facts).

I'll contact Swindon (thanks Roger), get the full sp, and post an official report

Thanks again for all your help

Matt.

Edited by - Matt Sullivan on 24 Aug 2000 13:23:51

Being as the conversion on your engine was a Caterham option along with 218bhp cheapie, I would suggest that you talk with Len Unwin of Caterham who will spil the beans, likewise, he should be able to give you a forwarding name and contact number should you need it

Matt,

I have a 1991 HPC that the previous owner had Swindon tuned to 225, he had it done by Hans Motors of South Norwood. I have the itemised invoice, if it’s any help to you I could fax or send you a copy. I had mine dyno tested and it came out at 152bhp @ 6800 at the wheels, not quite the 180 @ 7500 at the wheels Swindon would expect from the 225 tune. Roger gave the correct phone number for Swindon Racing Engines, and looking at the invoice seems to have got everything spot on. I use super unleaded in mine now but used unleaded for the first 6 months of ownership with out any problems, come to think of it I was using unlead when I had it dyno tested. I have had mine since November 99 and apart from a fuse blowing has not missed a beat.