Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Soft limiter at 6k?

viperbl

Guys,

I have recently built a K series with stock parts, vvc head, vvc cams and trying to use the vvc mechanism. I have taken it out for a blast, its pulling strong up to 6kish and then it feels like the soft limiter is coming into action ... I have checked the Emerald and it shows the limiter and soft limiter is @ 7500, but the tacho limit (for that session) is shown at 6400ish ...

Now, I have a feeling that I have not fed the VVC mechanism in correctly, so this may have some bearing on this?

Any help appreciated :)

Rich

I know nothing about Emeralds, but...

I know that the software in the OEM ECU would lower the rev limit if the VVC mechanism was not working. Also I think I've read somewhere that if you always bang the limit, then it'll be adjustet downwards BB in the ECU.

Could some of these wonderful features have been adapted in the Emerald?

/r

The stock vvc mems unit has a "rev limiter protection" built in. If you hit the limiter x times (or for more than x seconds) in any given period, it temporarily lowers the limit until your revs go under a certain threshold then it pops back up again....

The emerald doesn't (to my knowledge) do this.

I've had problems with fake limits appearing on vvc engined car before. It can manifest itself if the 2 wires to the crank sensor are backwards (though don't just swap them!!!! check them) - the mems unit throws a paddy whereas the emerald ISTR is a little more tolerant. Also check the plugs to the top of the VVC mech aren't transposed - two of the plugs are interchangeable (despite being different colours).

Cheers guys ...

Had a look and the inc/dec for the VVC and is setup correct, the only thing I want to confirm is that its ok to use the common? earth for the crank and cam sensors? (Emerald Pin 32)

How can you test if the VVC is actually working? I did some logs asking the emerald to show me VVT_control and VVT_target, both came back as 0 for all the runs!