Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry sump pump / lower steering arm clash!

pooh

I'm re-building a '86 X-flow Cat after a front end smash. Arch have replaced the chassis and panels from the bulkhead forward. Problem is no matter how I look at it, the steering rod from the s wheel to the UJ on the rack clashes with the dry sump pump/manifold assy on the offside of the engine!

Anyone know if there was a mod done to overcome this -like moving the rack to the right?

Or is this caused by some difference in the new chassis?

Also, does anyone have a wiring diagram for this vintage of car I could copy? Could collect or meet at the Pheonix Inn?

Thanks

To lessen/eliminate the problem will require shims between the engine bracket and engine mount and rotation of the steering rack around the wheel rotation axis. The rotation of the rack will change the angle on the universal joint and will lift/lower the steering column. Shimming under the engine bracket will tilt the engine and the dry sump pump. It may be possible with these two adjustments to arrange that the two components do not touch, even under maximum travel.

I too suffered this problem,

Had a new engine mount from Caterham (for dry sump engines) and still it touched.

Raised engine by 1 washer and rotated rack.

I can take some pics over the weekend if you would like - or you are welcome to drop in, if your local.

Markc