Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice on tyres, please...

Ninja Boy

I know this topic has been done to death (sorry!), but:

I'm picking up my first Caterham (1800 K-series) on Saturday teeth.gifcool.gif, and I know I'll be replacing the rather bare Michelins fairly soon, so I'm looking for a bit of advice. The car has 14" minilites (or minilite-style, at least), and I'm planning on mainly road use, although I may be tempted to do the odd track day, if I can sort out the insurance (currently with MSM, so would have to be done separately).

I've looked back through the archives, and heard opinions at the local area meetings, and Yokohama A021s seem to be flavour of the month, as long as you can put up with about 5-8000 miles' use out of them. I'm not sure if I want to change my tyres every year, and I saw favourable comments on the A539s as long-life road tyres, with good grip, though not nearly as grippy as the A021/A032.

My current thinking is that if the A539s are fairly good and cheap (I saw ~£35 each mentioned on a previous post), then I'll get them for the time being (to stay legal), and maybe raid the piggy bank for A021s later (possibly with spare set of wheels to allow road/track flexibility).

Any opinions/advice (and guestimated prices) gratefully received.

Cheers,

Mark

teeth.gif J777 DMH - Have plate, found car to match... teeth.gif

teeth.gif ...S132 CUY arrives in 3 id=red> days teeth.gif

Edited by - Ninja Boy on 12 Jun 2002 17:05:11

Mark,

I took your car for a scream round Wales back in November. It was what made me decide to buy a Caterham. Firstly, I must apologise because I am a major contributing factor to the wear on your tyres. Secondly, you're right - those Michelins have next to no grip on wet roads.

I found that when the car got very hot there was a slightly odd sound from the radiator - as if the cooling fan was scraping something. I am sure that this would have been rectified by now.

Congratulations. It really is a lovely car, and if I had the extra to spend I would have bought it the minute I got back from my drive.

Finally, I am in a similar dilemma (Michelins on 14'' coming to the end of their life. I would be interested to hear what your final decision is.

We have AO32's, but the A021's seem to be highly recommended. IMO - and we are on a budget - the fun factor that either of these tyres will give you over the Michelins is easily worth the *relatively* cheap price of approx £50 from GPolley, be it on the track or the road, where we spend 99% of our time. Have no experiance of the A539s. We do big mileage (see below) but these softer tyres make the car - IMO!

teeth.gif20,000 miles in less than a year! cool.gifthumbsup.gif

Thanks for the replies so far.

RobF - I'll keep you posted. BTW, am I right in thinking you bought the blue 1400SS from Millwood's that I was looking at last autumn? How's it running? Ta for the info on my new toy, I'll certainly double-check when I pick it up.

Cheers,

Mark

PS - Boing wink.gif! Any more opinions from Yoko A539 users, please?

teeth.gif J777 DMH - Have plate, found car to match... teeth.gif

teeth.gif ...S132 CUY arrives in 3 id=red> days teeth.gif

I don't think there's much difference between any of the list 1A tyres (ie Yoko 539's and Bridgestone RE720's in this thread) - certainly not on the road. I sprint/hillclimb on 539's and have been v. impressed and they will certainly last forever in normal use (whatever that is in a seven!).

They are obviously not as grippy as the 021's and 032's but it depends what your priorities are. Anyway if your experience is anything like mine, once you've bought a seven you'll end up with a garage full of 2nd hand wheels and tyres so you have something for every occasion!

Mark,

you're absoutely right with your assertion on the 1400ss. It is still in my possession and I'm still enjoying it immensely. I've done a few small upgrade items (starter button, removable steering wheel etc) but it's basically the same car.

Have fun.

Rob.

Mark,

This is a bit repetitive, but suggest 021R's see lots of old threads and the best place to buy from is George Polley motorsport.

p.s A021R'much stickier than 720's which I use as class 1A tyre. I would only buy 720's if I was entering class wars at sprinting or wanted long life over grip.

Tony

I use A539s on my live axle car and find them to be quite good. I am particularly impressed with there wet handling. I also think that they are ideally suited toa live axle car because the tread pattern is very horizonatl and so suits the rear live axle well. I previously used A510s and found them much worse than the A539s. Try George Polley motorsport for prices. I paid £35 each for the tyres. See www.polleymotorsport.co.uk.

John

Thanks again for the infothumbsup.gif.

If buying from Polley, how would I go about getting them fitted? I'm not exactly local to Cambridge...

Cheers,

Mark

teeth.gifcool.gif 1800 K-Series - S13id=yellow> 2 id=green> CUYid=yellow> - has arrived cool.gifteeth.gif

teeth.gif Still got the tin-top -J777 DMHid=teal> - need to do the paperwork teeth.gif

Just bought 5 AO21R * 5 TODAY

Great (binned the Pilot)

George Polly will send them for £316 (inc PP & VAT)

Demon Tweaks 330 fitted

Very happy bunny, if not poor

Bruce, Self Drive ROLLER COASTER Owner !