Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking Apollo Tank - Any ideas ?

Dicky

I recently fitted (with a great deal of assistance from John Howe) an apollo tank to the car, and it has been perfect i.e. no leaks and oil pressure behaving itself.

However after Dunsfold on Sat I got home to see an oil slick on the wet driveway and further investigation revealed a healthy smattering of oil at the base of the Apollo...It is hard to pin point where it is coming from (it has not dropped a single drop over night) but I think it could be coming from the hole at the base of the Apollo. Is this a drain for the tank ? Is it prone to leaking ?

The oil pressure was fine all day, so do I put it down to things settling down after it has had its first proper thrash since fitting, and not worry about it, or pull it all out and investigate further ? The handling days are the only time the car goes near a track at the moment....

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Dicky, I'm not sure where it could be leaking but there is indeed a drain plug at the bottom of the apollo. It is magnetic inside to attract particles out of the oil.

If you choose to undo it, search here first (and check out Myles website) as you need to be careful when undoing it. The torque required for the nut can rupture the tank further up as it's only made of thin ali.

I would clean it up then run it for a while. Once all has warmed up, see if you can see a drip forming from anywhere.

Where am I?

• Area Representative

Apollo tanks are very weak and of thin metal. Mine has leaked twice and needed welding. Vibration doesn't seem to help at all. Mine cracked where it is held to a bracket on crucifix by jubilee clip. It could have been too tight perhaps? It also cracked around the weld on one of the inputs/output. The hoses are often very stiff and put strain on the thin metal.

If there is oil on the tank itself I doubt it is the drain plug, as oil won't normally travel upwards.

There might look like a lot of oil, but I doubt you'll have lost much if oil pressure is OK. As Richard says, clean it up and get engine warmed up and keep an eye on it. It probably won't leak until oil is really hot and thin and also heat may open up any gap.

Good luck.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Arrgghhhh - I'm paranoid about PTFE tape and engine oil systems. All too easy for a bit tape to get chopped off and enter the system, even if you follow the normal procedure of leaving the first few threads clear.

If you have to use a sealant, use a liquid one.

But, it will seal with no sealant - that'sa what tapered threads are for. I've got a 1/2" (might even be 3/8") BSP fitting in mine for a capillary sender - that needed some very carefull setting up and machining to keep any wall thickness in the boss. That seals fine.

Bri