Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting an Apollo tank

Stationary M25 Traveller

• Area Representative

My advice would be don't do it before heading for Scotland. I found a couple of leaks when I first did it and they took some fixing. I'd recommend doing it at a time when you can make a couple of local blats to ensure all is well before embarking on a long trip. It doesn't look like Richard has left any time in his schedule for tinkering.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

From experience having done mine I would make the following comments

The sandwich plate needs to be very tight against the oil filter housing or it WILL leak ( I dont know why this is the cast as the oil filter only needs to be done up by hand).

The flow and returns likewise very tight or they too will leak and are imposible to tighten once the plate is installed - you have ween warned, align them as angus instructions but tighten in a bench mounted vice prior to final installation.

Otherwise all pretty straightforward. *thumbup*

Anybody know what the official torque settings for the sandwich and flow and return unions should be?

Good luck *wink*

C7MPR, it's RAC Orange for a reason

Edited by - leon on 8 Sep 2008 12:27:42

• Area Representative

Leon - Good advice.

You think you've done a good job and then a slight leak occurs and have great difficulty in tightening without dismantling, draining oil etc. That's why I'd suggest doing it when you have no time constraints.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Having done the job on my 1.8 VVC SV last year I would echo all of the advice given above. I found it very handy to print out the relevant pages from Angus's website as well as the photos from Grubbster.

The kit does contain everything you need. Top tip is to ensure that you cut the chunk of excess metal off the engine block as mentioned on Angus's pages. You may think that having an SV means that you have sufficient space not to need to do this - wrong!

It's a fiddly job but everything does fit. Remember that once you've fitted it, run the engine to check for leaks, switched it off then got underneath to check your handiwork that the exhaust primaries will now be hot enough to make you wince!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I can see two Apollo tank kits on the CC website .... ACOT04 for S3 and SV Metric chassis at £199.75, and ACOT01 for S3 and SV at £250.00.

They appear extremely similar in the photos.

What is the difference - is it £50 for different threads, or a slightly different support bracket for the tank ?

• 2 months later...

Finally got round to fitting it. Took all day !! Runs ok without leaks. With the length of alternator belt I have, there was no way the hoses were going through the inside of the belt. Ended up running the hoses beside/under the alternator - all nicely cable-tied up out of harms way, and out of reach of the alternator belt.