Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series thermostat replacement

Solo

Okay, 2003 R300 with dry sump and roller barrells. Got the old thermostat out - awkward, but no worse than expected. However, I simply can't get the new thermostat to seat into the housing. I can only get a couple of fingers on the bl##dy thing so can't get sufficient pressure to make it seal. Are there any tricks here that others have tried? It looks like I could possibly take the entire housing out, but am reluctant to disturb the seal. Is this the only way to get the thing in?

The one plus side is that the old thermostat was definitely knackered (won't open) so hopefully that was the cause of the overheating problem!

Any ideas very welcome....

You can get the whole housing out - just be careful and especially so when you put it back in - the o ring could get nicked...

The two parts fit together in a certain orientation, and should seal up when you tighten the 3 bolts up...

• Area Representative

The only way I can manage to do it is to remove the entire housing, but you'll probably find the O ring swells and won't go back. You'll need to get a new O ring and use plenty of silicon lubricant when putting it back in.

I also find it easier to push the bottom hose onto the housing first (more lubricant)then push the housing into the block. I find getting the bottom hose onto the housing can be a pain in the 🙆🏻 if you try to do it afterwards.

Edditted to carect speeling mustaiks

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 7 Sep 2008 16:46:46