Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Break light problem.

RDEX

Help required with an electrical problem please.

I have a recurring problem with the passenger side break light. Its not working and I have tried all the standard fixes, the earth connection is fine and the backlight and indicator lights are working fine.

I have stripped the tape of the wires that run from the lights up to the point where they disappear above the diff and can find no break in the wire or short.

However my exploration has had to stop here as I cant get to the wire after this point. Can anyone explain how to follow this further?

Do I need to drop the Diff or remove the boot floor?

I ran a wire from the other break light across the car but now the fuse blows as soon as I break.

Any advice of how to trace this wire would be very gratefully received..

Have you tried the other light cluster on the "faulty" wiring? Might be easier to rule out that possibility first...

Dumb suggestion perhaps, but the bulb's OK?

PS It's brake...though I guess in the circumstances yours is broken.

Thanks for your reply, I have changed both the rear light clusters as they were corroded, and I have checked the bulb. I don’t think any other clusters are connected, hence my intension to follow the wiring further along the loom.

The other end of that wire must pop out in the engine bay somewhere and be terminated where it comes out of the fuse box (don't know where). Do the other lights work i.e. is the earth good to that cluster.

I've a wiring diagram for a '91 car I could fax/post to you though I confess its no Rosetta stone of wiring. What year is your car (can't remember 40th aniv)

I have had these symptoms. It came from the plug and socket where the loom from the lights plugs into the vehicle loom at the back. Basically one connector pin was not fully home in the plastic housing. Cant actually remember if it was the male or female. Pushing it properly home into the plastic housing so it was held by the retining lug solved the problem.

Hope that helps!

Graham