Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Driveshaft boots / grease

jepo

I know this one has been done before, but I can’t really find a definitive answer, doing a search.

I’m going to take off the old boots and give the joints a clean.

Can the boots that Caterham Parts supply be pulled over the joint?

Any idea which grease should be used, and where is best to buy it?

MoS2 and Castrol MS2 are mentioned in other posts, but I haven’t had any luck finding these on the net.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

If you have the normal CC de Dion drive shafts made by GKN, you do not need to stretch the boot over the CV joint. ( I'm not sure the rubber will go that far without splitting or at least getting strained)

When you take the bigger clip off, the cv joint will slide apart, the drive spider can then be taken off the end of the shaft. The boot can then follow once you have taken the smaller clip off.

If you are not changing the boot, no need to release the smaller clip. Just leave the boot in place whilst cleaning.

The only challenge you may have is on reassembly. The boot clips are a special design which sit very flush agaist the rubber boot. If you replace this with a jubilee clip, the wormdrive housing will hit on the rear antiroll bar upper drop link mounting bolt. (if no rear ARB, then no prob) If you try using cable ties, grease will spray out with centripetal force as the clamping is not tight enough to seal the rubber against the CV housing.

You may be able to get the new clips put on at a Ford garage or another independent repair garage who has the right tool for the stainless steel clips.

Most general purpose High Melt Point greases suitable for wheel bearings etc will lube a CV joint.

cheers

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Thanks Peter

That sounds much easier.

I plan to paint the shafts as well, so will take the boots completely off.

I had thought about using cable ties, but will go with your suggestion and get a Ford garage to fit the correct clips.

Cheers

Paul

I tried replacing the boots using by stretching and it was impossible...

The caterham agent I took them too, did it the proper way and took the joints apart - they reckoned it was a pig of a job though - maybe they were just talking up their bill!?

Anyway if you get the boots replaced then if you buy a "boot kit", it comes with a sachet of grease...and the metal clips....

in fact i have two boots spare when i only got one driveshaft replaced.

PM me if you are interested in them - I got them cost price from a local motor factors

---

my mind is blank....

The newer driveshafts, as I assume Paul has, come apart as described so no stretching required. Be careful you don't lose the spring and/or roller bearings though!

Cable ties don't work that well as they tend to hit the rear ARB drop link. Caterham (and many other people) sell the metal ties.

PS- Glad you are still sticking with Caterham even though the racing has stopped! 😬

Charles

---

Triple E Racing - build diary and race reports

They last for tens of thousands of miles unattended on heavier tin-tops of all descriptions, so surely under a seven they should last a good while?

Only reason I'd touch them would be if the gaitor is damaged, or the joint has actually failed.

Tye-wraps and CV joints - used by previous owner on my first integrale . . . the heads of the front ones machined away the side of the ABS sensors . . . and for some reason the ABS on an integrale then fails in an "interesting" manner - absolutely rock hard pedal and stuff all brakes! New sensors later and a carefull chamferring of the tye-wrap head and it lasted another 100,000.

Bri

Thanks all.

One boot had a little damage and the driveshafts are rusty. As I have the car completely stripped, I figured I’d refurb them.

I took them apart and cleaned everything up this evening. No sign of any wear. Actually it wasn’t too difficult. I seemed to have all the right tools for the job, which made a nice change.

I might just buy the boot / grease/ clip kits that irrotational mentions. They have them on the online store, even though Caterham Dartford told me they don’t do a kit, just the boots…

Good to here from you Charles. I figured as I won’t be doing any more racing for a while, I should at least get the Caterham on the road to have some fun. That and the fact that we’ve goy our first baby due in December, and figure this will be the last chance for the next 16 years to do it 😳

Paul